View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Magic Mirror
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelaine (View Post)
Er, speaking as a fan of Doctor Who and other time travel shows/stories, let me put out a theory on how it could work -

Think of each world as a stream. When you are in the stream, you are carried along by the current (time).

However, if you are OUTSIDE the stream, you can pick which point you enter it at (probably with certain limits or else it becomes an easy cop out when the plot gets too complicated).

The current and movement of one stream has no bearing on the current and movement of another. So, having been carried 300 years downriver in one stream doesn't mean that someone in another stream has gone any distance at all (turgid waters, what can I say?).

This theory assumes time is relatively constant once you're in a stream. That is, you can't easily go back in time in a world you have already entered. You either can't change past events or can't change them easily (since these are the Lost writers, I'm not betting against real time travel - plot altering kind of stuff - coming up, I'm just not worrying about it yet).

Or, if it's easier, think of the fairy tales where someone spends years in on world only to find no time has passed in the realy world - or the other way around. The amount of time passing in FTL doesn't have anything to do with time in our world.

Snow White, for example, had her adventures within about three years of coming to our world - but her story has been told in our world for centuries. Obviously, the times between worlds don't match up.
Excellent point. I can't believe I forgot about the fact that the fairy tale stories preceded Storybrooke's creation by centuries in our world, so this whole time comparison between FTL and our world has no basis. Time doesn't work in the same way in FTL vs. our reality, and the clocks in FTL don't "tick" at the same rate as in our world.

You can even look at the weird effect of the Curse on time in Storybrooke--frozen for 28 years! It's pretty clear "magical time" and "real time" are not comparable or commensurable.