View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Shi_fs
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveigniting (View Post)
Yes. Sybil's death was a plot point. Ofc, everything in a show is a plot point but her death wasn't even about her, you know?
Obviously anything that happens in the show can serve as a starting point to some plot lines. But I am trying what long term story lines they have that really require this to happen in order to achieve them and how big they are to require such an extreme action. Spooks, for example, was notorious for killing off its characters, but A. it was a show revolving around people doing very dangerous things, so, you know, part of the deal, and B. it had a revolving door setup where people came and went, so even if someone main in the cast were gone, you sort of knew it was part of the deal and they established it very very early on in the first season. But otherwise killing off a main character that has much following seems quite senseless to me, especially with a lot of the Sybil/Tom relationship having so much with the themes of the show - change and blurring the lines, and they would have served as a much better line being a constant reminder of that than serving as the tragedy of the hour. If they wanted to bring a tragedy I'm sure they could have arranged something tragic enough to shake the house without pushing viewers away.
"I don't know. It's a mystery."