View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 AM
narciscia
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Side thing, but I also see Rumple as being a sort of small town (or village) boy at heart, raised in a community where all the girls he was likely to meet were members of families that knew him and his and the expected norm was marriage and fidelity.

I don't mean to deny Rumple's darker side, but this is a place where he's still very much the human Rumple from before the curse - and, whether his wife left him or not, that Rumple was fairly innocent on this issue.
I don't know if there is enough canon evidence for such an assertion but I absolutely agree. He was a devoted father and (before the curse) a timid and shy man. The Dark One gave him power and naughty ways but I don't think it changed the core of him - thus he still loved his son and was able to fall in love with Belle. His innocent behaviour around Belle demonstrates a softer side. A man this perplexed and enchanted by a woman is not a casual rapist for gods sake! I also imagine that as he worshipped her cup like 'the grail' he shows utter committment to his love, even in death. A man that makes such a massive emotional committment to a dead loved one - I suggest - isn't capable of sexually assulting her.

Quote:
But, I have to say again that I my eyes bugged out over the casual assertion that it would have been normative behavior throughout, oh, gee, all of human history. Honestly, do people even read history before popping off with things like that?
It's such a generalisation. It wasn't long ago I read that someone said all women in Victorian London were either mothers or whores. The ability for some people to summarise mass proportions of human history in a sentence is staggering lol.