View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Nekoshoujo
Master Fan

I actually really liked the the finale. It was the best "finale episode" midseason or otherwise in awhile. Maybe it's because I ignored the hype but it felt like the right balance with tension. It was dramatic so it wasn't a snoozer like In The Cold Cold Night. But it wasn't over the top like Dead and Gone or Drop The World. I also liked the fact everyone got happy endings. Sometimes that's cheesy but it made sense for the story.

It certainly wasn't perfect and I think maybe they should have gone in a more emotional/less-action based direction for Clare but it also really worked. It felt very means justify the end in regards to Clare. I loved the way she realized that she has to take responsibility for what she puts out there. It was a great message that felt right for Clare and ultimately it made the missteps worth it.

After hating Katie all season I was surprised that I really liked her in the finale. I was very resistant to the Katie/Clare friendship but I think it's a huge benefit for Katie as a character. It provides her with a focus that's not about her in any way. And they have good friendship chemistry. Like Demetrius and Aislinn, I think this is due to the fact they are good friends off screen.

I do hope for Clare's sake that this storyline isn't just done wrapped up in neat bow. Waterfalls was so good because it felt raw and real. Sabotage and Scream a little less so. I don't really want fantasy justice for Clare. I think that it's much better to focus on the emotional angle and that's what was missing from these last four episodes.

Also loved Dallas again in these episodes. He's really just been an outstanding addition to the show and I'm really sad we're only getting one season to explore him.

It's hard to talk about these episodes because it's been awhile since I watched them. But yeah, I liked Scream and I thought it fit really well as the end of Showdown.

edit: I will say I really didn't like the way Clare was portrayed as annoying in part 1 of Scream though. Really I thought in combination with Sabotage it felt very sexist. Like harassment victims are annoying for wanting Justice. It was another reason why Sabotage really bothered me.