View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 PM
portiaslegacy
Dedicated Fan

Wow, we got to a second thread. I am so far behind on the previous, thread and I wanted to talk about how TDKR gave me a better appreciation for Rachel's role in the series, why I didn't mind Miranda/Talla's role in the story. Oh well, I guess it's still on topic.

When I first saw BB I was like "That Rachel love interest is random. How seriously am I supposed to take this?" Then she eventually got murdered in TDK, but that film only really had time to address how that affected Harvey/Two Face. The important part about it for Bruce was in the letter Alfred burned where she said there would never be a time when Bruce didn't need to be Batman, even if Gotham didn't need Batman. She wasn't wrong, largely because Bruce's vision of what a post-Batman life was so tied to the time before his parents died that he couldn't imagine it without his friend from then. Which is in large part why he is a recluse between the movies.

His interaction with Miranda/Talia happens at a weird moment. He failed in Batman mission and is trying to regain control of his life as Bruce Wayne. Alfred and Fox had both been impressed by Miranda and thought of her as potential mate/reason to act alive. Also Bruce is still surprised that Alfred actually left, so in some way he is trying to act more like Alfred would have him.

Which is part of what makes Selina so remarkable. She doesn't have an attachment to his past, her main goal is to erase her past so she can finally start over. Bruce doesn't realize that this is exactly what he needs. She acts regrettably while trying to get it, but in some ways that makes her more human.

(Song for Selina)