View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 05:35 PM
jediwands
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
And, you know what, I'm tired of seeing the 'he made a mistake; that shouldn't undo the good things he did argument.' That is such a BS argument. If you want to remember the good stuff he did, then that's fine. It probably should be remembered, but don't gloss over the bad stuff and act like it didn't happen. I mean, John Wayne Gacy was a community leader and charitable activist for 30 years. He even donated his time as Pogo the clown for various children's birthday parties. He also raped and murdered 33 men, burying 26 of them in the crawlspace under his house. I know that's not exactly the same level of what Paterno did, but it serves my point: I'm sure there are lots of people out there that Gacy helped. Heck, he even met Rosalynn Carter because of his efforts, but that shouldn't somehow soften the fact that he did horrible things. Paterno didn't actually do anything to those children, but he did have a chance to put a stop to a sexual predator, and instead he helped enable him and cover his crimes. It was bad enough when I just thought that he'd ignored what took place and was complacent. Now that it is apparent that he interceded on Sandusky's behalf and caused him not to be reported, his 'good name' will forever be ruined in my eyes. Just reporting what he saw to his bosses and not the authorities is a 'mistake.' Covering up sexual abuse isn't something that I could ever deem a simple mistake. Ever.
Agreed.

I studied Gacy in college. No one remembers the good things he did because the bad was way too horrific. Paterno allowed these crimes to continue on, he allowed children to be tortured and violated. Some even believe a child being raped is worse than death. That child is scarred forever and ever with the bad memories. Paterno had so much power because of all the money he personally accumulated for the University. He had power and an ego, an ego he believed could fix anything. I read he would personally "punish" football players when the University felt it was a united school issue. Paterno would say he would handle it, and the punishment was a joke. One situation was an assault a couple of his football players participated in. The college wanted to punish them, he said he would handle it, and they basically had to stay after practice and clean some stuff, that was it! I believe his ego and position at the college allowed him to believe he could handle anything. That is why he felt it was unnecessary to get the proper authorities involved. Problem is he never fully handled this! Even if he was scared of tarnishing his precious program and college in general, why didn't he walk up to Sandusky and say, "If you ever so much as touch another child again, I will personally rip your 'you know what' into pieces!" Not that it would have worked, but he never even tried to internally handle it by threatening Sandusky or even making him get some mental health... not saying this was the right thing to do since it's clearly a police situation but even so, he still didn't try to do ANYTHING to stop the rapist animal, Sandusky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
And from what I understand, the civil loss suits are numerous against Penn State and people are actually donating to the school to help allay the costs. What is wrong with these people?!?
They're crazy lunatics! It's unreal is what it is.

Another thing? They decided to keep his statue up... this is such a wrong move.. the reasoning was they didn't want to make a quick decision on this using emotion and not intellect so they will revisit it in a couple of months. Right, the stupid thing will stay up. Imagine the victims who still live in the area that have to drive past that statue daily and be constantly reminded of JoePa, the so called father of the community who never protected them as children? WHY should the victims have to see that statue? It is bunk. That sucker should be torn down.