View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Currawong
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alors (View Post)
I think he has We don't really know a lot about their next encounter other than the "come with me" moment in ADWD. But that kind of revelation--when you realize what's gone on in the past of someone who you (subconsciously) want to protect--that's an interesting one to explore his reactions to.
Yes - and he certainly 'reacted' to Red Ronnet! I do hope he gets to talk to Brienne about it all, because I figure she just 'might' open up to him, or at least give him the bare bones so he can draw his own conclusions. Or more likely push / prod her with a few 'Jaime style' penetrating questions

Quote:
Jaime was never as shallow as Cersei--I think he always had the ability to see past outward appearances (cf. Tyrion), which is something she cannot do, even with him (pathetic, really). I do think he still had to lose his hand to reach the places he has (introspection); otherwise I think he would have just pushed everything down inside again once he returned to KL. As Cersei notes, it does change him. He looks mostly the same, but he is not the same. Kind of like what happens when veterans come back from the war. The experiences they've had can't not change them, immutably.
Oh yes. Don't think Cersei has ever realised how Jaime was changed deep inside by the Aerys experiences, but then of course, she herself was only young. And although Jaime has been on campaign before now, he's always come back victorious and she's never had to face up to anyone with those PTSD effects. I once read a fanfic where one of the things he eventually murmurs to Brienne (in bed!) is that he had to lose something in order to find something much more valuable.

Quote:
...and non sequitur alert: I'm sitting here listening to Talking Heads "This Must Be the Place" and it's reminding me so very much of J/B. A love song without being LURVE. And the sentiment--"Home, is where I want to be/But I guess I'm already there"--I dunno. It just seems to encapsulate how I view their relationship in a way. Thoughts?
Well, I was listening to one of my old Seekers CDs the other day, and I was struck by the lyrics to I know I'll Never Find Another You. THAT to me is (eventual) perfect Jaime / Brienne! Link: THE SEEKERS lyrics - I'll Never Find Another You
There's also their World of Our Own, especially the reference to leaving their sorrows behind - World Of Our Own lyrics - The Seekers | All The Lyrics

ETA: For the next thread title, I rather like iram's suggestion of "because some boys like challenges!"

Last edited by Currawong; 07-13-2012 at 04:25 PM