View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 03:14 PM
jediwands
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
I see your point, but I also hesitate to punish all those students and the community in general because of the action of 4-5 people. I mean, if SMU could get the death penalty for what their program did, then I can definitely see how a cover-up of disgusting and criminal behavior for the sole purpose of protecting the university and football program's images could conceivably happen. It never will, of course, but it's not unjustified.
Yes, that's the a good point. What they should do is clean house as much as possible and get those out of the program that were remotely related to the situation if at all possible.

Quote:
I'm most disappointed with the people who still blindly defend Joe Paterno after stuff like this comes out. I'm the first person in line to defend one of my heroes if I think that they've done nothing wrong, but once a legal document surfaces that proves that he or she was in the wrong, I stop. I am a fan of Brad Pitt, but if something like this came to light about him, I don't know that I could watch his movies anymore, much less defend him with blind loyalty.
Exactly. With the revelations, there is no denying that Joe Paterno actively covered for Jerry Sandusky and turned his back on those being abused. If you're still out there trying to defend JoePa, it might be time to re-evaluate things. I cannot believe some are still trying to protect his legacy. Stop it, people, right now!

Look at this crap:

Quote:
Matt Millen Still Defending Joe Paterno, Penn State

by Alfie Crow • Jul 12, 2012 11:27 AM EDT

In the wake of the Freeh Report that was released on Thursday morning, which presented damning evidence against Penn State University and former head coach Joe Paterno, there still seem to be a segment of people unwilling to blame Paterno.

Star-divide

Matt Millen, an ESPN analyst who played football at Penn State before going on to an NFL career as a player and later a team executive, is one of those people. Millen was on SportsCenter Thursday to discuss the findings, offering up some genuinely terrible comments and thoughts on the situation.

When the story first broke last year, Millen was one of many Penn Staters who defended Paterno, and he continues to defend his former coach even after the latest findings.

"In terms of the program itself, this was a very pristine program," Millen said on SportsCenter, to which I immediately blurted from my couch, "THE HELL IT WAS!" There is no form or fashion to call the Penn State program "pristine" after the findings of this report.

To make it worse, Millen went so far as to say Paterno's legacy shouldn't be tarnished, saying, "He made a mistake. Does that discount all the positives he did over 50 years?"

Yes, Matt Millen, it should. Shame on you for even thinking that.

Shame on ESPN for taking advantage of Millen in this situation as well, and for even putting him on the air to say these kind of things for a second go-round. It's understandable to want to have a reaction from someone connected to the program, but this is well beyond "conflict of interest."

Matt Millen Still Defending Joe Paterno, Penn State - From Our Editors - SBNation.com
I've always thought Millen was off his rocker and I knew the Lions were in trouble the second he get involved in their franchise but he hits an all time low here. I'd love to see how Millen and others who continue to defend would feel if children in their family would have been abused. ESPN should be ashamed for allowing this clown to state his stupid opinion. Children were raped, RAPED, you idiots and Paterno let it continue to happen! I cannot believe these fools are defending. Defend him but not the children who were violated in the most perverse, cruel kind of way. Wow, these people are crazy morons.

Last edited by jediwands; 07-13-2012 at 03:21 PM