View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 06:21 AM
jediwands
Fan Forum Legend

What bothers me about soccer is that not only is there racism but there's violence as well. Terrible violence. Hatred, even. Just ask Liverpool fans who have burned American flags before and feel it's only passion. My a$$, it's passion. It's a way to spread American hatred, hiding behind passion for soccer. Right on.

Like I mentioned, in America we have a ton of other sports and this doesn't happen in any other sport.

I am very sorry what happened to your father. That is absolutely horrible. I also don't quite understand why it's considered racism to punish these people.

My issue is when looking at a human being, why does it even matter if they are black or white or Hispanic? Why does the color of your skin matter? EVER?! It doesn't make any sense to me. I agree though (probably due to slavery way back in the day) that the media would much rather show a black person being exposed to racism over a white person. I think that's true. But I guess I still see it as racism is all over the place, it's everywhere. I don't understand why watching a ball being kicked around, sometimes entering a net has to cause racism and violence. I look on ESPN daily under "Soccer" and 75% of the of the titles are about racism and violence. Yes, you can say the media loves to show the big bad story first, but why is it when I look at other sports, I don't see this? I see other stories that are bad like owing tons of taxes, or a player getting caught for drinking while driving or head hunting in hockey. But I don't see racism and I don't see fans and other people trying to literally harm each other all due to watching a ball fly around on the ground and in a net. It makes zero sense to me.

ETA: Of course racism is everywhere. Yes, there is racism in America for sure. My issue is not that I want all racism killed because I don't think that's even possible. My issue is why does it exist in soccer? Why is there such violence in soccer? Why is there flag burning in soccer? I do not understand why this takes place. It takes the fun out of watching. My two nieces told me the other day they would love for me to take them to an overseas soccer game someday. I honestly don't know if I'd even feel comfortable going there. I would worry for their safety.

Last edited by jediwands; 06-11-2012 at 06:27 AM