View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Finnegan
Loyal Fan

Am I forgetting my history, or was this whole episode totally unhistorical?

Did Giovanni (Juan) Borgia ever besiege Forli? Cesare did, but I can neither recall nor find any reference to any Borgia military operation against Forli led by Giovanni.

And when Cesare was assaulting Forli, in 1499, (a) he took the place and (b) Giovanni was already two years dead. And this episode, to judge from its inclusion of Savonarola's bonfires of the vaneties and of a still living Giovanni, seems ostensibly to be set in 1496 or 1497. But did the Borgias operate against Katerina Sforza at all in 1496-97?

And where in all this is the deposition of the Medici and the proclamation of the Republic in Florence during the first French invasion in 1494? In the series, don't the Medici still seem to be at least nominally ruling Florence, even if they can't control the town very well? For that matter, where in all this is Caterina Sforza's 1496-97 love affair with one of the Medici?

Unless I'm missing something, season 2 seems to be diverging increasingly from history. Who know, maybe the series will end with Cesare Borgia being canonized.

Last edited by Finnegan; 05-23-2012 at 07:02 PM
Finnegan is offline   Reply With Quote