View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 07:52 PM
MegaJ
Extreme Fan

Season 11 was....a season. Some good stuff, some bad. In the whole grand scheme of Degrassi seasons, this season will probably rank low only because there isn't too much that's remarkable about it.

The Good:

-The Anson/Vince/Gang storyline, mainly for what it brought out in Bianca. Drew's part was okay, but even comparing his PTSD to Bianca's transformation it comes up short. Bianca went from a two-dimensional floozy to a very dynamic character. It is very reminiscent of what they did with Alex, but I like Alex so there.

-The KC/Jenna pregnancy storyline. Hands down the best teen pregnancy arc since Accidents Will Happen. Instead of being squashed into a few episodes with like JT/Liberty or someone becoming a model with Mia, KC and Jenna were actually forced to deal with this. It all felt very realistic, with the all the stress Jenna was going through, KC's lackadaisical attitude to it and the low-income background. The aftermath with KC finally owning up to it was good stuff too. I was worried about the two of them, but this storyline really brought out some great scenes and moments and acting.

-The Dave/Adam storyline. This would've been ruined if this was a "poor Adam" storyline, but Adam did behave awkwardly to the point where you could see it from Dave's angle (though his language was uncalled for) and Adam was never a victim and could stand up for himself. I never felt more engaged.

-Fiona is still one of my favorites and while the Charlie stuff was meh, I did like what it brought out in her and her later storyline with Imogen/Eli was good too. The character shines whenever she has to go through adversity, so yeah she had to lose her money; it's a crutch in her life and also for the writers for a convenient out for storylines.

-I also like pretty much every new character, but I'll get into that later.

The Bad.

-The graduating class of season 11. It was their last season, the writers weren't going to waste any good ideas on them, so...blah was what we got sans Anya. And that's only because she's a character they never worked with until that season. Holly J's storyline just felt too soapy and while I did like that wham line ("She wants 200,000.") I think this too much to just drop on the audience's head when the character is headed out the door. Riley's storyline was short, but it least it got semi-good resolution. The less said about Sav's storyline, the better.

-The complete lack of parental involvement and idiot adults is very disconcerting, and it's getting to the point where it's unrealistic. I can understand not getting your mother involved in your business when you're a teenager, but finding your birth mother after you've learned you're adopted? No Just No. Not to mention Clare's mother being completely detached and not even being told by POLICE that she ran away from home. And pretty every adult involved with Eli sans Bullfrog suck. Ms. Dawes, his psychologist, etc.

-I'd never though I'd say this but Clare and Eli are better together than apart. With The Boiling Point, it was nice seeing their relationship build and them helping each other and going through intense drama. Not to mention their personalities/backstories bouncing off each other at times (Quick little irony I always liked about them, just looking at Clare and Eli, which kid would you say had the broken home and uncaring parents?) Clare and Eli apart? Ick. They did the wrong thing by paring them up with other character in the beginning, Clare only got tolerable around Not Ready To Make Nice because she and Jake already broken up and Imogen was almost a non-entity in Eli's downward spiral. So, I'd never though I say this, bring on the EClare season 12!

And that's it, I'll post thoughts on new/bumped-to-main characters later. My fingers hurt.