View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 AM
Nekoshoujo
Master Fan

Season 11 seemed like a total 180 from season 10. All and all I felt like Now or Never and 11.5 weren't as cohesive as they should have been and that could be because technically they're two different school years. It was underwhelming as a whole but when it was good it was really good- I'm thinking Extraordinary Machine and Smash into You.

Characters who were stronger in S10 were weaker this year. Fiona and Eli sorta lost what makes them great in the second half although since they're headed down some new paths they'll probably bounce back next season.

Imogen and Jake got better and better as the season went on. They're really coming into their own and I really like both of them a lot right now. On the other hand, Katie for me was stronger in the start. It feels like the writers told us a lot about her that in the end wasn't true. For a girl who doesn't like drama she sure is good a being a drama queen.

The Niners were all good introductions. I actually like that the writers seem to be taking their time with them. So far they work well in all the combinations we've seen: Tori/Tristan, Maya/Tori, Tori/Zig, Zig/Maya, Tristan/Tori/Zig, Tristan/Tori/Maya. That says a lot and I know we have a good base for the future generation. Hopefully next season the writers dig a little deeper into their personal lives especially in regards to Zig who we still know next to nothing about.

Balancing screen time was a huge issue this season. I hate to say that taking Wesley out of the equation seems like a benefit to me. Wasting another plot on trying to create a love triangle for him would have been a shame. And in part because of his absence the cast is finally coming together really well. We're getting a lot of nice friendships and relationships and it does feel like a real school with everyone involved in each others' plots. Next season the writers would be smart to try and give at least one solid plot to all their leads preferably finding a way to get everyone an A-plot and subplot each. I think it's possible with all the connections they're building since it's easy for characters to share plots with each other. Bianca, Adam, Owen, Tristan, and Connor could all use more screen time.

In the second half Dave really shined to me but sadly his powerful plot was taken over by petty relationship drama with Alli. I think this represents the greater problem with Degrassi today: Fandom is more important than plot. That seriously needs to stop.

As far as characters who changed for me this season, I'm always flip flopping when it comes to Alli. She was great all through Now or Never but ended up annoying me with her petty behavior and jealousy in 11.5. I feel like Alli holds everyone to such high standards to the point of ridiculousness. Normally having Alli pop in spices up a plot but in the second half of the season it served only to bring in a lot of wining. However, her friendship with Jenna remains a welcome.

Speaking of Jenna she's probably my season 11 MVP. Talk about a transformation. She's been through a lot and has clearly learned from it all. One of the few characters who seems to be doing the character development thing right, she got a new role as "voice of reason" in 11.5. Honestly? I think it really works for her. She's also making some much needed new connections. Her friendship with Jake feels natural and low key, it's just that we barely got to see it! Hopefully that's amended in season 12. Especially since they both have connection to Mo- there's a trio I'd like to see! I think I would like to see her branch out beyond KC now. Her entire time on the show, her storyline has connected to him. It's almost impossible to view Jenna as a character away from that relationship and that's still a problem for me. I'd like to see Jenna have a strong storyline that doesn't connect to her relationship with KC or what resulted from it.

Clare also stands out as a character that developed throughout the season, it just took her a little longer. With Clare I get it: she's been through a lot and she took her personal issues out on those around her. Clare's always had a balance problem, either she's letting people walk all over her blinded by her locality to her friends or she's so focused on herself she can't see what's going on with others. But in 11.5 after things settled with Jake, it seems like maybe she's finally got it. Her words to Eli in the finale meant more than that she's still interested- they meant that she's finally looking out for herself while trying to help an be with the people around her. She's not going to let herself get hurt just to suits someone's needs and she's not going to hurt others to suit hers. I think that's where Clare's been headed all along it just took her awhile to get there.

Marisol was the surprise for me this season. In Now or Never it seemed like writers weren't interested in developing her beyond being Katie's eternal bff/frienemy. But go figure in 11.5 Marisol found her own place apart from Katie's shadow. Not only did she stand on her own but she overshadowed Katie in some ways. At least she did for me. Marisol continues to be one of the most realistic characters on the show. She's not just a one hit wonder. Yes she's a mean girl. But under that she's also a hard worker who has gotten where she is by actually putting the effort in. We saw that in the cheer-leading plot with Tori and the finale with Fiona. Fiona might not know the value of the dollar, but clearly Little Miss Steaks waitress, Marisol does. It's interesting to see that her "good" traits have been their all along but are only now getting the focus they deserve. I was worried that by giving Marisol more time in the spotlight they'd try to play the sympathetic mean girl card with some sad backstory. Thankfully they didn't. Marisol doesn't need a sob story to be likable. That's so below her. Marisol is likable because even with all her stupid screw ups, and self serving behavior she's real. It helps that Shanice has the kind of charisma that brings life to even the most cliche lines. Writers, please don't waste this next season! Give Marisol something really awesome to work with.