View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 06:34 PM
phillips32
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patano (View Post)
Definitely not yet. Just look at her and Tom's discussion in the garage where she's afraid of "giving up her whole world". Similarly, read JBF's comments. She stresses everywhere that Sybil's obstacle to her relationship with Tom is her fear of "giving up her whole world".
Matter of opinion of course, but to me, by that point I was pretty sure "not going back to useless" was going to win out over "giving up her whole world." From S1 I never thought Sybil would be the daughter to stay at Downton and live like they expected her to.

Also, just living independently and working and crazy stuff like having weekends wouldn't necessarily mean "giving up her whole world". Papa wouldn't like it but eventually he'd deal to some degree. It's only when marrying a servant is thrown in the mix that worlds start being given up. at least the parts of the world she even cares about anyway. I don't doubt for a minute that's her biggest impedement to a relationship with Tom, but not to living her own rebellious life.

That's why I say the part of her Rubicon where she would eventually reject the aristrocratic life and go out on her own was already crossed IMO. The remaining question was only whether she loved Tom enough to cross the ultimate Rubicon and take her leave with the chauffeur. Because that probably would be world sacrificing, at least temporarily Actually, LOL, I think we are agreeing on this.

If Sybil hadn't left with Branson would she have stayed at Downton, preserved her world and eventually married Sir Richard Carlyle's richer younger brother?

Last edited by phillips32; 04-27-2012 at 07:11 PM