View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 PM
phillips32
Part-Time Fan

Thanks for the good discussion.

Re Sybil/Mary confrontation over Branson: I totally agree that Sybil was trying to convince herself in this scene and that’s why I say at this point, halfway through series two, she had definitely not made up her mind if she loved him enough to marry him.

It was clear she had rejected the aristocratic lifestyle and was eventually going out on her own, with or without him. Fortunately for her and us, she eventually came to the wise conclusion that rebellion is so much nicer with an interesting, passionate hunk who’s adored you for years.

I disagree that Sybil was desperately trying to keep Mary from ratting her out in that scene though. Sybil volunteered to Mary that Branson had said he loved her and wanted her to run away with him. If she thought Mary would tell, she might well have left out that part when Mary asked her what he had said. We are talking about Sybil the note-leaver though who is not exactly Downton's craftiest plotter.

But bottom line, Mary didn’t tell, either in this case or when she busted the elopement. Maybe Sybil knew she wouldn't.

The Robert /Sybil yelling scenes are actually among my favorites in the show. and IMO are some of JBF’s best work.

I think they happen because Robert has by far the most affectionate and emotional relationship with his youngest daughter. With Mary he's just weary and over it and with Edith he's just disinterested. But Sybil is clearly his baby and can talk him into anything. I loved the scenes in S1 where she’d go up to him, hands behind her back, plead her case quietly and walk away with whatever she was after.

So when things go wrong between them, they get intense It’s the loudest and most aggressive we ever see Sybil and the fact she holds her own so well makes the scenes enjoyable and not overbearing for me.

One of my favorite Sybil scenes of all times is the confrontation with Robert (and Granny) in her room over Tom. The way JBF delivers, “Well, bully for that!” at the end is priceless.

I also enjoyed the Lordship/Tom confrontation scenes and think they are some of Branson's best.

In the Grantham Arms scene His Lordship is lucky Tom did not rearrange a few of his teeth when he tried to buy him off. Branson was the picture of mannerly restraint and could afford to be since he was so confident she was now committed to him. I see nothing wrong with Tom pointing that fact out to His LS. I think that was when Robert realized he was fighting a losing battle and even saw a bit that Branson was a stand-up guy who really did love his little girl.

Ditto for Branson in the drawing room during the reveal to the parents. He was calm and reasonable, which is especially impressive since he got off to such a rocky start when Sybil suggests they bail on the idea after he’s already made himself known to the family!

Last edited by phillips32; 04-27-2012 at 06:22 PM