View Single Post
Old 04-02-2004, 05:21 AM
ellavm
Master Fan

Quote:
STEFANI AUDITIONED FOR DAHLIA
WITH "SOME YOUNG GUY NAMED JOSH"

Gwen Stefani was interviewed for a Vogue April cover story just after returning from an audition with Brian De Palma for The Black Dahlia. Stefani said that she auditioned with "some young guy named Josh." That would of course be Josh Hartnett. It would appear that Stefani was auditioning for the part of Madeleine, as she mentions that the character, like the Dahlia herself, Beth Short, has black hair. But Stefani expressed some doubts about being offered, or even taking, the role: "It was really humiliating and nerve-racking, but I feel like I did pretty well," she said. "But I don't know whether I would ever even do it if they offered it to me because it's a kind of a racy part. I know I'm not going to get it, because I think the character is so the opposite of me. She's really dark and naughty and ****ty. And she has black hair." Stefani, who was cast by De Palma's friend Martin Scorsese as Jean Harlow in the upcoming Howard Hughes picture The Aviator, told MTV last month that she'd had doubts about landing that role, as well. She got the part in that one, and it is interesting to note that De Palma has long had a desire to film his own Howard Hughes picture. David Koepp wrote the screenplay for Mr. Hughes in 1998, and Nicolas Cage was hot to play Hughes in the film, but the trio could not get a studio to commit to the project. With Scorsese's high-profile film hitting screens this November, it seems unlikely any studio would take a risk on another big Hughes production anytime soon. In any case, here's hoping Stefani gets the part-- haven't seen her act yet, but if she's good, she could be extraordinary. Other actresses De Palma has either met with or considered for the role of Madeleine include Jennifer Connelly, Charlize Theron, Eva Green, Naomi Watts, and Mia Kirshner .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/de/palma/