View Single Post
Old 03-25-2004, 02:57 AM
ellavm
Master Fan

'Whale' tale finally takes plunge with Hartnett

Quote:
GOOD MORNING: "He's the reason it's getting made." The "he" is Josh Hartnett and the film is "Mozart and the Whale." The project's been in/outta the works for seven years, admits Ron Bass, who scripted and is one of the four producers for Avi Lerner's Millennium Films. Pic was originally at DreamWorks with Steven Spielberg to direct and Robin Williams interested to star. Hartnett plays an Aspergen Syndrome (a form of autism) male lead to similarly affected Radha Mitchell. Bass won an Oscar for the screenplay of "Rain Man" (1988), which starred Dustin Hoffman as the autistic savant. While Hartnett is gaining fame for epics like "Pearl Harbor" and "Black Hawk Down," with "Wicker Park" and "Black Dahlia" coming up, this role is a complete new look at him and his talents. Bass cannot compliment Hartnett enough about his desire to play the role -- which has a true life background. "The role is for a William H. Macy, shy kind of guy. But why couldn't it be for a guy who's so gorgeous (as Hartnett)? It (autism) strikes who it strikes," Bass said. Bass describes femme costar, Mitchell as "a young Michele Pfeiffer." Bass says the film is "a love story that stands on its own -- plus an added dimension." ... Hartnett says, "I've been trying to get this film together for a year." From the Spokane, Wash., location of "Mozart and the Whale" he elaborates, "I did everything I could to make it happen. " And that includes forgoing his rapidly rising salary. In addition to helping raise the money, he did research on the role in various autistic groups And he says "playing this role has made me more honest. Autistic people can't tell lies to keep up a façade. They react honestly. Hopefully it will seep into my life." He says the script "is so interesting -- a love story with a struggle -- like everyone's and it has a realistic ending." Yes, Hartnett has a different look. And, he notes, "I walk and talk a little differently -- little things, mannerisms. But I decided against dyeing my hair" ... Costar Mitchell is next seen in "Man On Fire" starring Denzel Washington and "Neverland" with Johnny Depp, Kate Winslet and Dustin Hoffman. "Mozart And the Whale" is directed by Petter Naess who won the Oscar for "Elling."
Source www.variety.com

So it looks like the title is back to mozart and the whale well thats according to www.imdb.com