View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 07:19 PM
sunnykerr
Fan Forum Star

The thin blue line is gathering around its own. I can't say I fault them for it. Hopefully, though, there will be independent review. When a police officer comes under suspicion, it shouldn't be up to his peers to decide what happens next.

And, indeed, if the death of a colleague was so fresh on his mind as to justify these actions, then perhaps there needs to be a re-examination of the guidelines regarding allowing traumatized officers from going back on the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick HeyRee
Do Canadian prisoners generally have access to playstations, cable television and the internet out of interest?

We've got to strike that balance between doing our duty by the past victim and preventing others in the future, IMO the emphasis has tipped too far toward the latter.
Well, I've never been inside a jail, so I can't say for sure. I would imagine there are recreational facilities in some prisons, if not all, and I would imagine those include televisions. I would imagine prisoners also have access to the Internet in the same manner that they have access to telephones. And I can't say that I have a problem with any of it.

I do believe in doing our duty to the victims of crimes, but I'm not sure that's the role of the prison system. Not that I'm the expert here. I just think that, once they're incarcerated, it becomes a bit more about what we owe to society upon their release and what we owe the guards tasked with herding the convicts...

So if good behaviour gets them access to TV time and a Play Station, then I say give it to them. I think their stay in prison is about more important things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick HeyRee
Sunny likes a guy in uniform huh?
I actually was referencing adults I knew when I was a child. You know, my brother's hockey coach, the owner of the building my mother moved into right after my parents divorced, the husband of one of her olderst friends, my brother's friends and teachers when he studied at our version of the police academy... and, okay, some of my cousins who are actually quite a bit older, but that's neither here nor there.