View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 03:56 PM
fancydressmasks
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimweh (View Post)
Good question! I think we could use songs that fit their relationship as a whole, what do you guys say?
I love your Mary Crawley quote! And I like the idea of using songs that fit their relationship as a whole.

Okay, I swear almost every song I am now interpreting as reflecting Rich/Grace in S6. How about Seaweed Song by Passion Pit? This is my take on the lyrics:

Some day you'll see,
surrounded by angels,
floating atop of the sea,
abandon me.
Don't go where they go,
don't sing all the songs they sing.

Rich not wanting Grace to 'go where the angels go', to die.

Nobody knows you the way you know you,
but I think I do,
but I thought I knew.
Yeah, I thought I knew.

Grace is a very enigmatic personality and so Rich acknowledges that no one knows here like she does (it also fits in nicely with 'No on ****ing knows me!') But then says that he thought he did - it's especially fitting how it is first said in present tense, then almost corrected to past tense, like Rich could be forgetting it's now past.

Between these walls,
her back, strange glimpse, casts shadows frighteningly tall.
I slow to a crawl,
I jump and I yell but she hears nothing at all.

The way Grace 'haunts' him, the way Rich pleads for her to come back but can't reach her, she doesn't hear him really.

Stay, stay the same,
cause everything else will change.

He wants the memory of Grace to stay the same, to be true to her and not become distorted - he knows that everything in his life will change from now and he just wants his memory of her to always be with him, as she was. It could also be that he wants his feelings for her and his idea of their relationship to stay the same. He doesn't want any of it to fade.

The currents pull me out,
the tide has reached my chin,
the seaweed ticked skin.
Just let the water win.
I'm freezing to the bone,
you'll never be at home.
Just watch, you're running out,
just watch your body go.

I think the first part could reflect Rich's grief and, with 'just let the water win', an urge to let it take him over - which I'm sure he feels at times. Then at last, the statement that Grace will never be 'home', will never again live in the world, she's 'running out of the world', her body has gone.

Analysing lyrics is fun :')