View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Lady Azura
Passionate Fan

^ I don't think it has so much to do with her race as it does... her personality. I mean, as of now she's shown very little redeeming qualities and it's really hard to like someone who's shallow and mean 99.9% of the time. I happen to find Shanice gorgeous and think she's a very talented actress, but Marisol as a character is very hard to like. HOPEFULLY she'll get some development and become less... one-dimensional, for lack of a better word. Because I really would like to see other aspects of her character explored.

Although I definitely see your point about it possibly being a race issue... but at the same time... I think a lot of it just has to do with how little screen time they get. I mean, back in the '80s/'90s, Lucy was a pretty prominent character, but since TNG there really hasn't been much of that. I mean, Hazel was basically Paige's shadow, and Chantay really didn't do much until season 10 and even then her appearances were few and far between. Liberty was also a really prominent character, but I find that a lot of people outside of anyone who shipped Jiberty didn't really like her. Take the guys from Boycott the Caf, for example. With her, though, I find a lot of it had to do with Sarah Barrable-Tishauer not being this drop-dead-gorgeous girl. Granted, this is just a speculation, but... you get my point, right?

Anyway, enough rambling.

Right now, I'm kind of on the fence when it comes to Marisol. I mean, I love Shanice, but her character is very frustrating. It's how I feel about KC right now too. But I'm really hoping that she develops as a character, possibly in the same way that Holly J went from being this horrible person who treated her own friends like crap to a mature and reasonable young woman.