View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Finnegan
Loyal Fan

Skins 2/6, DC 3/20 and YA: Orpheus and Eurydice as prelude to a dream

Here's my take on it in brief: Skins s2e6 seems to be Tony's dream of going to school to learn to love better. While there, he meets an older version of what he'll be if he doesn't: the solider on the train, and the lecturer at the university, both played by the same actor. And it's all introduced by a reading of the Orpheus and Eurydice myth. Seems incredibly similar to Young Americans to me, given Krudski's introduction of YA by reciting the Orpheus and Eurydice myth in DC 3/20.

Quote:
References for our live rewatch of Skins s2e6

-- A quite good whole-episode clip of Skins s2e6 is available on YouTube either here (a restricted video [sex scenes] requiring a YouTube account) or here (same video, unrestricted, no account required).

-- The scene in Dawson's Creek 3/20, "The Longest Day" (May 2000), in which Krudski tells Jen the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, apparently to foreshadow and promote Young Americans as a summer 2000 fill-in for DC, can be viewed here. It's strikingly similar to the opening of Skins s2e6 -- except that Skins 2/6 omits the ending of the story, whereas DC 3/20 does not. One interesting question is why Skins omits it.

-- Comparing YA to Skins, most recent page of this thread.

-- The thread for discussion of Skins s2e6 on the Skins board of this forum is http://www.fanforum.com/f287/2x06-%5...sion-62874788/. On it, I've posted, in diverse recent posts, the case for my argument that the episode is a dream, as well as references to soundtrack songs and visual props that can enhance viewing.