View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 09:23 PM
xxcuzxme
Passionate Fan

Screaming at the perfection of this post...
Anyway, I'm open minded to Franky's storyline...

Quote:
S6 Minky Rant: I Need A Boat for All My Creys of Rage
WARNING: This rant could possibly contain major S6 spoilers. I haven’t intentionally read any, so I can’t say if any of the rumors I’ve seen are true or not. I’m simply reacting to what I’ve heard and Rich Cain/Dakota’s ****ing Debbie Downer responses recently to Minky****s on Twitter.

The Skins writers are absolute sell-outs. They include LGBT characters for the sake of being “progressive,” have them serve as beacons of queerness whose storylines are passable but borderline tropes (Maxxie and Anwar’s anti-gay religious storyline, Naomi’s constant gay panic, etc.). Then in the second series, they give them nothing to do.

S2 Maxxie? Helped Tony that one episode, had a stalker for one episode, then got paired up with that random nobody-cares-about that was introduced in an obscure webisode that nobody saw. Remember James? Yeah, neither do I.

S4 Naomily? Cheating vortex. Enough said.

I (stupidly) had such high hopes for Minky in S6. Mini and Franky are both complex, well-developed characters that aren’t/weren’t defined solely by their sexuality (or if their queerness was mentioned, it wasn’t in the annoying after-school special type of way). Now it seems like they’re going to be ruined, primarily through the complete retconning of Franky’s character. Franky has five sex scenes this season. FIVE. This from the girl whose defining characteristic last series was being absolutely terrified of sex. All of a sudden, Dakota is all “LOL FRANKY LOVES HER BODY NOW BECAUSE SHE’S IN LOVE.” Honey, that’s not character development, that’s character assassination. It makes no sense for Franky to go from being horribly uncomfortable with any physical intimacy to a nymphomaniac overnight. Her androgyny, which I found to be the boldest, most intriguing and most confident aspect of her character, is also being painted over as an immature phase that is also in the process of being “cured by love.” Only true rehabilitated femininity can reap the rewards of masculinity and “adult” sexuality. Most importantly, if Franky is going to be sitting on dick the whole season (Matty, Luke, maybe Nick idek), what the hell is the point of making a character PANSEXUAL if they aren’t even going to be shown attracted to the same sex? I understand that pansexuality can also refer to generic gender blindness, but even so, why would Franky shun such a close friendship with Mini that has the potential to be 1000 times more fulfilling than Matty or some random to become a ~sex kitten ride her way into vapid straight girl land?

We all know that Minky isn’t going to have sex in S6. Although I was disappointed, I was okay with that, provided the potential “romantic friendship” storyline was well-executed. It’s fitting for both of their characters to be asexual. Given how often asexuality is delegitimized and belittled in the LGBT community and society at large (especially with all the difficulty people have separating romantic attraction from sexual desire), I was excited that Skins might be getting asexy. Now, not only am I worried that Minky isn’t happening in any capacity, but I’m afraid that even if they do have a romantic relationship on some level that Skins will do a terrible job representing asexuals/people involved in romantic friendships because (POSSIBLE MAJOR S6 SPOILERS AHEAD):

A. I’ve heard a rumor that S6 will be backwards chronologically (starts with Ep 10, ends with Ep 1). If Mini and Franky share Ep 9, if they decide to take their friendship to the next level in any way, that means the writers will have the whole season to get bored with them and destroy them for angst like they always do with couples…only backwards? Ugh. My brain hurts.

B. Assuming Franky is sleeping with several men throughout part or most of the series, it will cheapen her eventual implied connection with Mini. If Mini or Franky makes a move on the other while one or both of them is sleeping with someone else, it has the potential to have that grimy vintage Brittana vibe of “bored heteroflexible girl occasionally gets sick of men and makes out with her BFF lulz” at which point I will smash my computer screen and regret nothing.

C. Again, it’s just so hard for people to wrap their heads around romance that doesn’t have the goal of eventually leading to sex. If Mini and Franky do have a romantic relationship, I hope it’s to the exclusion of other relationships as well. The best way to go about it would be to have Minky in an exclusive, monogamous romantic relationship that simply doesn’t include sex. It’s difficult enough to get people to accept that as legitimate, and to try to do anything more complicated than that runs the risk of reinforcing the “****ty/desperate bisexual” trope.

D. The spoilers I’ve heard for Mini in S6 sound absolutely bat**** insane and I’m horrified for what they’re going to do with her character, almost as much as I am for Franky. Between implied sexual assault and possible pregnancy, she sounds like she’s going to have plenty of her own issues to deal with. As much as I would like to see her save Franky from her own self-destructive behavior, I don’t want Mini reduced to some sad backup puppy, waiting in the wings for Franky to come to her senses. I also don’t want Franky’s new attitude to cause Mini more stress and problems if she’s going to be dealing with all of this. And Malo. I can’t have Malo happen, okay? Biggest. Trope. Ever. Not to mention pairing the girl who was pressured into sex with the boy who’s desperate for sex is an awful idea for both of them. Although isn’t Alo supposed to be a rock star this season or something? At the rate the writers are going with retconning, I’m sure Mini will designate herself the de-virginizer and go around deflowering people, even if they’re awkward ginger farmhands.

I just want Mini and Franky to be flawless together and each have a healthy relationship for once. Is that too much to ask? Isn’t that where S5 was supposed to lead? At this point, I’m not even sure that S6 characters are the same ones I fell in love with and I’m having doubts if S6 Mini and Franky will even be compatible. Here’s hoping 609 is pure gold, because I’m honestly not sure if Minky can be salvaged or not.

I WILL GO DOWN WITH THIS SHIP!

*Also, if they aren’t getting together, why send Freya and Dakota on the lesbian magazine PR tour? That’s just shameless pandering and false advertising.