View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Finnegan
Loyal Fan

The online scripts of YA: what they are, where they come from

In the process of contacting Juli to get files of Strawberry Lane, I found out what the Young American scripts online are, and where they come from. I feel free to share that info, since it was given to me in response to a request for a description of the nature and provenance of those scripts that I told Juli I intended to post online if I, rather than Jessica, had ended up reconsituting the Strawberry Lane site. So now I've posted it on the scripts section of my website, here:

Quote:
The scripts of the eight aired episodes of Young Americans (YA) in this section are not transcripts of the drama as aired. They are edited versions of hardcopy production scripts bought in the autumn of 2000 bought by a YA fan , "Jewelianna," who until October 2011 maintained the Strawberry Lane fansite. "Jewelianna" typed them up into electronic form to post online. (Back in 2000, scanners were not common.) As she did so, she deleted a lot of material not used in YA as aired, transferring that unused material to a "cut scenes" file that she posted on Strawberry Lane, which I have copied into this section as "Material cut." However, the scripts that resulted from her editing are not transcripts; the drama as aired sometimes deviates from them substantially (although less than it deviated from the production scripts that "Jewelianna" edited). These are the only YA scripts now online. They are neither production scripts nor transcripts, but something midway between the two.

The hardcopy "source" production script of Episode 1 was dated May 18, 2000, according to "Jewelianna;" the dates of the hardcopy source scripts for the other episodes are not known.
All YA scripts now online appear to be identical; apparently they all derive from Juli's work.

I've long been puzzled about the YA scripts online, since they're plainly not transcripts (except for the script of the unaired pilot), but production scripts wouldn't already have the large amounts of "cut scenes" deleted from them but somehow preserved on the side. Perhaps others have shared my puzzlement. Now we know.

Last edited by Finnegan; 11-01-2011 at 09:31 PM