View Single Post
Old 08-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Sushi
Passionate Fan

Haven't been in this forum for a long time! so hello!

Now I came across a discussion at IMDB.com about Zhang Ziyi, a Chinese actress, being cast as Japanese woman on the upcoming movie Memoirs of a Geisha. I wanted to know your opinion, if possible. I'm very curious.

My personal opinon on the subject - at first I found it quite strange. I'm sure there are plenty of talented Japanese actresses who could take the title role. I wondered if casting was done under the assumption that 'all Asians look alike' thing. If that was the case then of course I wouldn't like it.

On a side note - Anyone been to alllooksame.com (i think it's that) it's a test to see if you can really tell the different between Japanese, Chinese, Korean e.t.c. I'm Chinese myself so I'd like to think I could but I took the test. But I failed miserably! My point is... maybe she can pass off as a Japanese?!

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to limit the Asian actresses that we do have in the spotlight. Just because Zhang Ziyi is Chinese doesn't mean she should be playing only Chinese characters. I don't know if this is a good example - Take Nicole Kidman in 'Birthday Girl'. She plays a Russian mail order bride but of course we all know she's Australian. I think it would be crazy to say just because Nicole Kidman is Australian...she should only be playing Australians.

However I think many people feel that it's different because there aren't very many Japanese actresses that are well known in the West. Therefore this is an important issue as this would have been a wonderful role to showcase Japanese talent.

ok I rambled too much.

Sawyer/Sun | Jack/Sun | Fearless Soul | Seeker |