View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 05:27 AM
Plucky Sidekick
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Betty (View Post)

The thing is: there was nothing about his actions that was OOC. This is who Damon is. Like KW said, Damon will always be the guy who will call himself a hero and then kill three people. This is how they've written him from day 1.
I hadn't read this quote by KW, but honestly I'm a bit surprised by it... believe me, I agree that that's who Damon is (I think he had great potential in season 1 and I would have found a redemption storyline believable by then, but definitely not anymore) but I think they're not conveying this image in the right way through the writing. The fact is, everyone seems always so ready to forgive him on the show that it comes off like his actions, killing people, raping and brainwashing Andie, etc., are no big deal. If they really want to present him as a hypocrite, who believes himself a hero and then goes hurting people, they should have at least SOME characters acknolewdge that. Elena all the more, if they don't want her to come off as an idiot.

And I'm beginning to fear it will be the same with Stefan. I don't hate him (not yet) but I think after this ripper storyline things can't (and shouldn't) come back to normality between him and the people at Mystic Falls. As I said, I'm ok with dark characters, but I can't buy them when they are made to interact normally with other people at convenience. And at this point I don't trust the writers to handle the thing in the right way. At all.

The way they treat vampires is so inconsistent, btw. If resisting the urge to kill is so difficult, why is that that Caroline lives almost normally? Ok, Stefan helped her, but shouldn't she be facing at least some internal struggle? I can't condone Stefan and Damon's actions as something that's just part of their nature, when a newborn vampire apparently handles everything perfectly.