View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 04:47 AM
Black_Betty
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Void (View Post)
Damon/Elena
Damon/Life

Y'know what, I'm not even going to pretend to be shocked or surprised. Damon is just predictable at this point. Damon is the most boring character on TVD now, because you can see his actions coming a mile off. He makes some snarky comments, tries to be the "truth guy", then the moment anyone makes the slightest suggestion in the nicest possible way that maybe he should hold back a little, he snaps and does something stupid like kill his only friend. It's so repulsive and frustrating and above all else dull.

Is this what passes for character development now? Damon has come so far in this past year, he's progressed from killing Elena's brother right in front of her to killing Elena's father figure right in front of her temporarily.

It's annoying, because DE and even moreso Damon himself have always had potential. Ian Somerhalder is a tremendous actor and Damon has some great lines (despite my hatred for him, he's still probably the funniest character on TVD, it's just annoying that every time I laugh I feel irritated by the fact), and he has great chemistry with Nina Dobrev. But all that potential is wasted by the terrible writing, "shocking twists" and piss-poor development the writers keeps throwing at Damon and DE. This episode was a good example of that - the kitchen scene was actually really nice. It was fun and cute and witty, and it shows Damon's potential. Scenes like that make me think that maybe I could like Damon one day, but by the end of the episode I'm back to hating him.

He had potential, but I think it's too late to save him now. At this point, he's no longer interesting. He's not complex or three-dimensional or even entertaining. He's just a dick.

Stefan/Rebekah
Rebekah/Life - I already knew I didn't like her, due to her being a pointless, whiny, irritating brat, but the moment she inadvertently stopped Stefan from undaggering Elijah, I knew I would hate her forever.
On that note, Elijah/Dagger
Jeremy/Bonnie - Jeremy just has better chemistry with Anna, Tyler, Vicki... pretty much every other character on the show.
Matt/Caroline - I just can't buy his supposed jealousy over Tyler/Caroline. He spent most of his time criticising Caroline so I don't understand why he apparently loves her, so his jealousy just comes off more like macho posturing.
Bonnie and Matt/The show - I don't even dislike Bonnie particularly, but she is nothing but a plot device and I don't see that changing. And Matt is just the most pointless character on the show, and I cannot think of anything they could do with him, plot or arc wise. TVD needs to trim these loose ends if it wants to get anything done.
All of these.

S/R is horribly boring. Paul and the actress that plays Rebekah have good chemistry but that's it. There's nowhere for them to go within the show. This all just feels like a waste of time, and it's not even interesting Rebekah is a walking cliche of the spoiled princess/rich 20s girl; from the way she talks to her stuck-up and detached attitude.

Katherine/Elijah&Damon&Stefan - She's a lying manipulative bitch that abused Stefan; she's entirely without honor or dignity and she's hugely overrated as both a villain and a seductress. Katherine is another character that is a huge letdown. TVD is great at crafting characters that are good guests but any extended screentime usually ruins them. A little goes a long way, as the saying goes, and that's especially true of Katherine.

Stefan/Elena - Stefan, at this point, couldn't be more of a Mary Sue. The most powerful being on the planet wants to be his bff and another Original is in love with him. The lead female character is in love with him, Katherine is in love with him, and he's one of the most vicious Rippers of all time while also being well-known for being "one of the good ones". DEAR GOD make it stop. It's like they decided they made Elena too important in the mythology - taking her from this unassuming high school girl to a supernatural being whose death was desired by the most powerful creature in existence; from a girl who had to be rescued to a girl who learned to rescue herself - so they have to build Stefan up to ridiculous degrees to compensate. The past four episodes have been a very elaborate way of bringing us back to where we were in the first season: Elena as this doe-eyed helpless girl who has to be rescued by Stefan The All-Powerful and Damon The ****-Up. No doubt the boys will end up fighting over her again soon, after getting past this Stefan/Rebekah thing (am I the only one who thinks they might try to torment Elena with this, like a much worse version of Katherine/Stefan?). Elena will always have to be less. No thank you. I don't watch for Stefan.

Damon/Elena - I'll just let Ian Somerhalder say it for me:

Quote:
"I know a lot of people would like for that to happen, but the reality of it is that he's done some pretty messed up stuff," Somerhalder explains. "Even if he does get in her good graces he'll always do something to screw it up."

Plus there’s the fact that they’re nothing alike. "She wants a life of peace with no death, and he's [into] destructive killing,” he says. “It's like trying to watch a lion and a gazelle be friends, it's just not meant to be...”
The thing is: there was nothing about his actions that was OOC. This is who Damon is. Like KW said, Damon will always be the guy who will call himself a hero and then kill three people. This is how they've written him from day 1.