View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 12:37 PM
*OldHollywoodStarlet*
Fan Forum Hero

This is an amazing episode unto itself, but also the best episode so far. The first episode was pretty good, the second was "eh" and this was just really great.

I'll admit I pretty much fast forward through the Caroline scenes not because I don't love the girl, but seeing her getting tortured...I just didn't want to see it. Maybe at some point I'll actually watch the whole episode.

I did love how Liz and Tyler went and saved Caroline. The scene between Caroline and Liz was very touching and although I liked that Tyler saved her the relationship with Caroline still doesn't do anything for me. I just don't see the chemistry everyone seems to which is a shame.

Damon being on Elena's bed while she's asleep was pretty creepy in my opinion other than that their scene didn't bother me like it had somewhat in the first two episodes.

I gain some respect for Damon in this episode because he was willing to exchange his life in servitude for his brother. That wasn't part of the plan and so I felt it was more about his brother in that moment than about Elena.

I know some thought she was foul/naive for thinking a simple vervain dart and dragging Stefan back home will fix everything, but I felt sad for her because it's not going to be that easy. She really did need a wake up call about Stefan in general and just the situation at hand. All through season one, two, and even three she has tried to avoid or ignore the nature of Stefan being a vampire not matter how many times, Stefan included, they have tried to tell her about it. She even saw a glimpse of it at one point. So that scene between her and Stefan I think and hope was her wake up call. I think this season she's going to grow up a lot in that department. I'll admit I'm not a Stefan/Elena fan, but if after all of that she still loves him and really sees all of Stefan I might gain some respect for her. Also to add to that scene I don't think it was suppose to come across very emotional. I thought it played how it was suppose to. They already had the emotional moment with that call in the season premiere. In the scene of this episode I felt Elena (though somewhat denial) coming to a realization and Stefan truly cutting off his past or as Paul put it "Saying Goodbye". Also yes I did see it as a break up. I thought the tone was right. I think they are handling this arc just right. When Stefan found Elena in the hidden room it was both intense, touching, and heartbreaking.

Now onto some of my really favorite parts. The Stefan scenes.

First of all wow Paul is nailing it this season. He getting so much good material to work with that's allowing him to show his amazing range with his acting. On top of that we are getting to see more layers to his character and quality scenes too. Last season as a Stefan fan was really hard because he was becoming background paper always being the good friend, the good brother, or good boyfriend. While that was nice (believe me I LOVED his friendship with Caroline that season) he basically became a prop with no story line or arc which is annoying since his one of the main three. This season has really amazing for Stefan/Paul!

Knowing that Stefan and Klaus knew each other before the so called first meeting makes me want to go back and watch season two's episodes again. They have quiet the interesting dynamic there. You can see that there is a genuine brotherhood/kindred spirit between them in the flashbacks. I really enjoyed their scenes. Though the whole part where Stefan compelled the guy to drink his wife's blood was way creepy! I'm looking forward to seeing how they interact now with Stefan remembering. I'll get back to that scene later.

I also really enjoyed his scenes with Rebekah (Though the whole sharing the same meal was a bit creepy to me. ). There are genuine feelings in that relationship whether it's real love, meaning in love, is yet to be seen, but I do think they care about each other deeply even love each other. Paul and Claire Holt have beautiful chemistry. I aslo think Rebekah is an interesting character. I loved how they first meet and the way they interacted with each other. Stefan was relaxed and having fun which was nice to see. I for one hope they explore this relationship and I can't wait to see more of their scenes. Also the fact that she was willing to go back even though it was dangerous to be with Stefan was really touching.

Now to that scene where Klaus has Stefan uncompelled. I love how that scene played. I don't know why but it almost made me teary eyed. It was really moving. I just think it was the emotions displayed on Stefan's face when he saw Klaus and Rebekah which was real happiness and yet afterward conflict when they found out that the necklace was missing. Also the way Rebekah looked at Stefan was was very touching. I really am looking forward to seeing how this will effect the dynamic of these three together and apart now that he remembers. Overall I really enjoyed the scenes between them all.

ETA: I amost forget this. How could I! I really like this bit too.

Stefan/Katherine - I know some pointed out that she might of been there just for the necklace or at least more so and she might have, but I truly believed she was also there because of Stefan. The fact that she is willing to put herself that close to danger I think personally says so much about her feeling about Stefan. Though I agree she always has an agenda too.

This must have been the longest review about an episode that I have done in a long time. I really loved it.

Last edited by *OldHollywoodStarlet*; 09-30-2011 at 12:49 PM