View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Louisa C
Dedicated Fan

I'm 1 and a half episodes into Season 1 of Parenthood and it's freaking awesome!

It took me a while to work out who the siblings were (Adam, Sarah, Julia & Crosby, right?) and remember what their partners & kids were called, but once I got that straight, it was fine, it was just a lot of info to process at once!

Don't like Zeek the dad very much at all, even though he did call Sarah his shining star (his favourite perhaps?). I think Adam perhaps has a milder form of Asperger's Syndrome than Max & did similar stuff to him growing up, like jumping in puddles repeatedly, as evidenced between the moment Adam shares with Zeek at Sydney's recital. I don't think Zeek is a bad dad as such, though he's not great, but there wasn't as much known about Asperger's 30-40 years ago as there is now, and parenting was different then too.

I loved seeing Mike O'Malley interact with Lauren Graham, as they had a lot of chemistry and their scene at the restaurant made me sad as Sarah could have had a much more stable life with Jim rather than emotional & financial turmoil with Seth, her ex-husband.
I think Mike O'Malley's busy being on Glee now though, and probably was when Parenthood was being filmed, so I don't think he'll be back, but I hope he is, as he doesn't turn up on Glee that often.

My heart broke for Drew and for Amber too, getting held back a grade must be so frustrating. I liked that Hallie, the seemingly good girl was the one who had the pot & not Amber.

Julia's annoyingly focused on her career, but I do feel for her what with Sydney preferring to be with her dad.

Overall, it's a really good cast (no annoying child actors, hurrah!), awesome guest stars (Hi Dr Abbott, um Pelikan!), fabulous writing (funny and poignant from one line to the next) & perfectly imperfect characters. When I grow up I want to be Lauren Graham, it's official!