View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 05:36 AM
Louisa C
Dedicated Fan

Anyone else in foreign countries who has to suffer through dreadful dubbing & sub-standard subtitles?

I was watching Harry Potter 7 Part 1 with the kids I've been looking after for the last two weeks & dear sweet mythical sky being, the dubbing was horrendous, especially the voice actress who was doing Hermione's lines.

Yesterday I watched Up! with them & that was really well translated, the jokes still worked mostly, the voices were really good, considering there's a small pool of actors who dub in France, as far as I can tell.

Even the subtitles on TV shows I used to watch on French TV in my teens/early 20s were riddled with mistakes. Two memorable ones are on Friends, something about cars was translated as something about cards (or vice versa) & on That 70's Show, Red asked Eric to wash up which was translated as do the dishes (wash up means that in British English, but in US English it means clean your hands) and, seeing as the show is set in the US, you'd think that they might have checked the translation!

The humour of some jokes (wordplay especially) definitely gets lost in translation, and I don't find The Simpsons funny in any language except English!

I went out and bought more DVDs today, whoops!
I also got "One Day", the novel that's been made into a film. So far it's really good, but I can't help but think Anne Hathaway is miscast, especially after having read reviews of it that criticise her lack of accent. Carey Mulligan would have been wonderful in the role, or maybe someone else! The film doesn't seem to have been released very widely here, so maybe I'll catch it on DVD in 9-12 months' time when it'll be in the cheap deals section!