View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Louisa C
Dedicated Fan

I'm one of the nerdy people who likes to read the book before I see the film, so then I can criticise it properly ("Oh no, why did they cast X/Y? They look nothing like I pictured in my head & how the book describes them!"; "Why on earth did they leave out that scene?" etc...). From what I've heard the adaptation of The Help is pretty faithful, so I'll probably like it.

However, I'm going to see One Day on Wednesday even though I couldn't find the book anywhere so haven't been able to read it!

On the book front, I'm totally enthralled by Robin Hobb's fantasy series. Each separate series is told from the point of view of one of the inhabitants of a specific area/town of the fantasy world. I've read the dragon series comprised of 2 books and read the first one which is about traders and the liveships they use which are made out of the serpents' chrysalis that they make in order to metamorphose into dragons.

There's usually a strong female character that the story revolves around, often not willing to follow the rules that society/her family have imposed on her.

All the stories overlap/feed into eachother and they're so engaging! I want Book 2 of the trader stories and book 3 if I can find them!

I really shouldn't judge a book by its cover (except if it only has "Oooh! Squee! Loved it!" reviews on the back rather than an actual summary of the plot!) so I should try Wilfred really. I'll look out for it and give it a go.

I saw The Skin I Live In by Pedro Almodovar yesterday as a means to keep my Spanish alive and it's the first Almodovar film I've actually enjoyed and understood! Oh, and it wasn't too violent either, which is always good.

I was expecting to need to go and see Bridesmaids again to un-depress myself, but there was no need!

Antonio Banderas should only do Spanish-speaking roles as I find him so much more convincing in his native language!

The Penelope Cruz replacement is really pretty, she reminds me a little of Audrey Tautou.

I've made quite a dent in my paycheque by buying lots of DVDs that are on offer.
I've bought a mixture of classics (Harold & Maude, La Dolce Vita, As Good As It Gets, The Way We Were), Paris When It Sizzles, which stars the lovely and talented Audrey Hepburn, silly fluff (I Love You, Man-mainly for Paul Rudd, drool!), stuff that I missed when it came out (Mother & Child, The Truman Show which I've seen bits of on TV) and various others.

I must stop though as I'm running out of space on my shelves and I like to group similar movies together. I try to get rid of movies I haven't really enjoyed, don't think I'll watch again but it's one off the shelf and 5 more to squeeze on, so it doesn't really work! Oh well, there are worse things to be addicted to than books & DVDs!