View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 08:31 AM
everwoodfan52
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisa C (View Post)
I read The Help a few months ago now & am really looking forward to seeing the movie, which is out in November over here.
It is presently out in the States.

Quote:
It took me a while to get into it, mainly due to Aibileen's sections being written how she speaks, so I was put off by the grammatical & spelling mistakes, but I thought she was an interesting character, so I persevered & eventually became so gripped by the story I got past it.
I could see how that would happen. I also had difficulty in the beginning figuring out what Aibileen was saying...after a while...it became much easier.

Quote:
Some of the white women's discussions on black people's rights/intelligence/lifestyle made me go back to check the dates as I couldn't believe it took place in 1960-something, I was convinced it was 1860-something as their comments were unbelievable!
I know...it is unbelievable! Yes...the 1960s was the heart of the Civil Rights movement....this was really going on (mostly in the deep south). Many brave people worked very hard to change things during this time and some lost their lives.

Quote:
I love Emma Stone, Bryce Dallas Howard & Allison Janney so am looking forward to seeing the movie very much.
I am also looking forward to seeing this movie...hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Quote:
No, but I plan to do so. I think it's released in German in December or so. I was really happy when I saw this drama on #2 of the movie charts, it's always nice to see when a quality movie (good characters, good story, message) is watched by a lot of people, don't know if you know what other movies are in theatre atm, but IMHO a lot of them are simply for the summer made crap blockbusters. Betty, please let us know what you think about the movie, and though I'm no reader, I know that it's hard for a movie to compete with a book, that are 2 very different mediums, a book can tell a story over months or even years, a movie only has like 2 hours at best and a lot things seem too fast or are missing.
I can understand why this movie is experiencing success. Many people read the book...very popular...so I'm sure they all want to see the film.
I'll let you know what I think of it, Matt.

I just want you to keep in mind that this story does not represent all Americans. These were very close-minded, ignorant people. Thank God it is (for the most part) no longer like this...and these ridiculous rules no longer exist.

ETA: Here is the trailer.....

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 08-21-2011 at 09:34 AM