View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Louisa C
Dedicated Fan

I read The Help a few months ago now & am really looking forward to seeing the movie, which is out in November over here.

It took me a while to get into it, mainly due to Aibileen's sections being written how she speaks, so I was put off by the grammatical & spelling mistakes, but I thought she was an interesting character, so I persevered & eventually became so gripped by the story I got past it.

Some of the white women's discussions on black people's rights/intelligence/lifestyle made me go back to check the dates as I couldn't believe it took place in 1960-something, I was convinced it was 1860-something as their comments were unbelievable!

I love Emma Stone, Bryce Dallas Howard & Allison Janney so am looking forward to seeing the movie very much.

I raced through Season 5 of Medium and it was as excellent as ever. I love Allison & Joe's relationship as it's such a real portrayal of marriage, with disagreements on parenting, frank discussion of money matters and two fundamentally different people who bring out the best in eachother, cherish their di-fferences & really love and trust eachother.

Scanlon's such an interesting character & I thought it was intriguing to see how different he turned out from his brother. I love Lee & Lynn and baby Leigh together, so sweet!

This Season I noticed a few mistakes/discrepancies regarding the timeline. I'm sure in the early episodes (Ariel is about 12), one of the parents mentions being married to the other for +/- 15 years and then Allison is pregnant with Ariel at the wedding. There's also a reference to a son who would have been 15 when Ariel's 12/13, who was stillborn/ended in a miscarriage, but it's possible Joe & Alison were expecting before they got married, so maybe it does work. This show is usually so excellent at referencing past events & keeping its time-line straight that the moment struck me as inconsistent.

Looking forward to Season 7, having read some of the recaps on IMDB, though I'm going to have to stock up on tissues for a couple of them.
I've seen trailers for Wilfred (the dog who appears to be a dog to everyone else but as a guy in a dog costume to our favourite Hobbit, Elijah Wood) and it just seems so random that I don't think I'd like it. Elijah is cute though & doesn't seem to have aged much since Lord Of The Rings!

I can, however suspend all disbelief when it comes to Being Erica. I love Erin Karplug & relate to Erica on lots of levels and I think the premise is brilliant although impossible, perhaps because I'd like to not do some of the things I did when I was younger.

Must get Season 2 as soon as I'm solvent!

Parenthood I'm theoretically saving for my babysitting job on Wednesday but I may crack, depending how well work goes in the next few days.