View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 09:51 PM
jnnj
Loyal Fan

Cesare's profile comparison is really good. One of the most consistently noted parts of Cesares personality, in these profiles and in other places, is his remarkable intelligence. After reading this, I went digging up and found this description of Cesare that I had saved years ago:

"He possesses a marked genius and a charming personality, bearing himself like a great prince. He is especially lively and merry and fond of society." -- Andrea Boccaccio Source: crime library.com/borgia/borgiamain.htm

Thought that was such a refreshing description of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s e r e n i t y (View Post)
I suppose they list it cause hes a cardinal and hes not really supposed to be having affairs so to speak, but with Juan it doesnt really matter?

anyone else find it weird that his date of death on the show is 6 days later than his real life death?
That's a really good explanation for the inclusion of "lechery" on The Borgias profile for him. Makes sense that it would be more noted for him since he was a member of the clergy and there were moral expectations for him. The New World Encyclopedia says Cesare was known for his "womanizing, lavish clothing, and hunting parties" (Cesare Borgia Article, New World Encyclopedia). So the description is consistent, but I do agree that we haven't seen the full scale of it on the show.

On the date, I noticed that too. I'm not sure why the shift in date either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Phoenix~ (View Post)
Yes the info we have been getting is giving us a guide line to how the show might go.
I'm leaning towards that as well. I've gotten the impression from Neil J's interviews that he has a complete vision of how he wants to proceed with the series, so these profiles do seem to reflect that.

This is sort of random, but one of my favorite items of trivia about Cesare is that Leonardo da Vinci worked for him as a cartographer (drawing maps) in the early 1500s. When I found that out a few years ago, I really relished that connection. It sort of reinforces too that Cesare was a thinker, interested in finding out how things worked and making things work for him. It's a little too early in the series to reference it, but I thought I put it out there anyway:

"As a military engineer and architect, Leonardo was put to work designing war machines…. During his time with Borgia, Leonardo designed many machines, including collapsible bridges, wall-mounted ladders, and rotating scythe blades attached to moving chariots. It's also possible that he designed weapons, such as catapults, crossbows, machine guns, and cannons. Leonardo's genius turned lethal, when required.

Like so many religious and political figures of the day, Borgia was also a patron of the arts, and having Leonardo da Vinci in his company was another feather in his cap. Leonardo stayed with Cesare Borgia until his return to Milan in 1506"
(49-50).

Source: 101 Things You Didn't Know about Da Vinci: The Secrets of the World's Most Eccentric and Innovative Genius Revealed by Shania Priwer and Cynthia Phillips.

Luthor ღ Lang ♥ Confessions of an L/Ler
jnnj is offline   Reply With Quote