View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 08:49 PM
MegaJ
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I had always assumed that their relationship was already under pressure because of the rape trial with Dean. I think that Spinner flirting with Manny was what caused their relationship to crumble. I think that maybe he did it unintentionally too. There was a lot of pushing that the two characters did back and forth in the relationship.
One of the lines the leaped out at me was when Spinner compared his situation with Manny to her and Falcone. Not to mention to "put in his place" line at the end. I mean, just why was Spinner such a dick to his girlfriend who just lost her rape case? Then it hit me that Spinner is acting that way because deep down he resented being wrapped around Paige's finger and trying to please her. Throughout the third season, he's stressing about making her happy, getting her the perfect locker, not being jealous she's crushing on hot driving teachers and talking to J.T. and all the while he's supposed to just deal with it. And when the dynamic shifted, he was relishing in Paige doing things for him for once.

Quote:
It evolved so naturally and was one of the main factors that allowed us to see Rick as human and he wasn't just the guy who bounced Terri.
One of the best lessons from Degrassi - no matter what Rick did, NO ONE deserves to be treated like that and violence counteracting violence is always wrong. I wish the show did more lessons like this, though I'll admit season 10 was pretty good about that.

Other insights:

-Emma's evolution to GonorrEmma makes a bit more sense. Not only is she still suffering from PTSD, she may have thought she was the reason Rick did what he did (this was before Spinner confessed). Plus she's someone with an idealistic view of the world and how things should be and how people should act and right and wrong and black and white and her actions towards Rick and Sean dumping her Gangsta Gangsta (and with all her righteousness, she could never relate to how Sean feels and what he deals with) it just completely broke into pieces and led her to the hookup van.

-I take back my beliefs that the writers were always going to set up Craig and Ellie. I think they were planning on doing a lesbian storyline - but with Ellie and Alex (look at the two of them in Queen of Hearts). But for whatever reason, they put Paige and Alex together. And it was awesome.

-I think Melissa McIntyre's desire to go to college put a wrench in their plans because I think they were going to pick Crash up where they left off, but decide to substitute Ashley with Ellie and then just build that up.

-Eye of the Tiger is even more devastating then I remembered.