View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Gilmoregirl82
Total Fan

Well no kitties again today. We went to the Pennsylvania animal shelter. The GPS said 32 min but it took us a lot longer and it wasn't a very good neighborhood to go through. But we got there I was told I'd be responsible for bringing the kittens back 2 weeks for shots then again for spay/nueter etc. So because of the hike I opted out of taking kittens from this shelter. Gonna try my local one which is 15 min away.

But I have to say I almost walked out with a cat! It broke my heart. There must of been about 200 hundred or more cats lined up in cages. This one orange tabby saw me and ploppedon his back and stuck his paws out for me to pet him. He kept purring and just wanted my attention then the next thing I know there were other cats meowing for attention. I had to get out of there bc I was going to break down in tears. There were also about 150 dogs in cages. The girl told me they spend 24/7 there bc they dont have many volunteers to take them out and walk them.

I urge anyone who has ever thought about getting a pet to consider adopting. Older pets (esp. cats) have such a hard time finding homes. Everyone wants a cute kitten to love which is understandable but I've adopted 2 of my cats as adult cats and they were the best cats ever! I wish irresponsible pet owners who refuse to spend the money to spay or neuter would go to a shelter bc if they did they'd hopefully think twice about letting their cats have kittens!

Sorry for the long rant but I'm still sad I couldn't adopt one. I keep telling myself I can't save them all. But I know the reality, 95% of them will never leave that shelter
So spread the word about adoption (or someday maybe adopt yourself) and if you have a shelter and the time think about volunteering. I can't wait to finally get some foster kitties and I also hope to be able to volunteer this summer too.