View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 06:28 PM
mellifluouscloud
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_vanilla (View Post)
I agree with this especially. Eli will be saying all of these things to make us feel sympathy and I'm like ... so why are you still acting like a jerk? Like when he said the whole thing with Fitz was to 'defend Clare's honour'... that was a huge load of
It annoys me that Eli's entire character development (if you could call it that) is all tell and no show. We're told explicitly that this is what happened and this is what we're supposed to feel about it and this is why we should pity him. Maybe I would care if you showed me his past instead. I don't understand why they couldn't introduce Eli more like how Craig was introduced, since they are both similar in having a dark past. I say this as someone who is not a Craig fan -- his early episodes are among the most powerful of the entire series. Why couldn't Eli's very first episode include Julia? Or at least a flashback to the night she died? Or maybe he could have been introduced with the hoarding issue and explored his ~tormented soul from there. Instead his entire characterization is completely backwards, causing every new revelation to feel anticlimactic and even predictable. And we really only know him through the eyes of Clare, dating back to his first appearance. That never changed.