View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 06:51 PM
mellifluouscloud
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkCityRoyalty (View Post)
Okay.

I don't like Eli because

1)He generally has no plotline except to be all mushy with Clare.

2)Hes creepy in general

3)He tried to poison Fitz

4)He framed Fitz

5)Doesn't wear Deodorant

6)Has no real role in the show except to be creepy with Clare.
Building on these reasons, I hate that he's such a bully and refuses to admit it or see his hypocrisy in the "rivalry" with Fitz. He was the instigator every step of the way, leading up to the night of the dance when he tried to poison him. I hated how ultimately Eli was portrayed as the sympathetic one and Fitz was the villain. Not that Fitz is totally innocent (by any means) but Eli really is responsible for dragging out their rivalry as long as possible and going out of his way to make Fitz angry.

I hate his pretentious way of speaking. Totally bizarre speech patterns and then there was the butchered Latin phrase.

He called Adam, his supposed friend, a girl. Which could be considered a transphobic slur since Adam once was... a girl. And using "girl" as an insult is misogynistic in general.

His parents creep me out.

And overall, I can't take his character seriously because he seems like Clare dreamed him up out of one of her fan fictions. He's just this brooding, mysterious, ~dark (but not really), "bad boy" whose characterization lacks any depth and is so contrived and laughable that I'm forced to roll my eyes at every new "revelation" about him. I feel that he exists solely to fulfill the "teen dream" ideal. And I resent that his whole backstory was shoved down our throats and I'm supposed to care about things that I'm hearing about secondhand, never actually witnessed, and are told in a completely unimaginative way. AND I'M SUPPOSED TO EMPATHIZE.