View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Betty_Newbie
New Fan

(Just a note--I've only watched the first 10 episodes of this season; I quit once Dylan was gone. Thus, my review will mostly be based on those 10 episodes.)

For the most part, S6 was, at best, the same old, same old from S5. The writing was equal or worse in quality and the storylines at least just as boring. Mediocrity would come to dominate the remaining college years, as well as the post-college years. I've already expelled enough energy in my S5 review to cover S6-10, as well, so go back to that review if you want to see my general opinion of the writing of S6-later.

However, there was one (And, only one!) very bright spot, post-S4 that caught my attention, and it was the Dylan/Toni storyline from early S6. Love or hate Toni, she had great chemistry with Dylan, so much that I would actually put her and Dylan on par with Brenda/Dylan. And, Dylan, himself was awesome this season. After the complete character assassination he received in S5, someone, somewhere decided to bring the strong, but sweet & sensitive Dylan from S1-2 back for his final 10 episodes. Seeing the "old" Dylan (albeit, in a more mature form) one last time very much made me happy, and knowing that he ended up in London with Brenda after he left makes me even happier. May Dylan & Brenda live happily ever after.

(Note--In my world, Dylan never returned for S9 & 10. That was his evil twin, or something. )

Now, on to the questions:

Favourite episode? "One Wedding and a Funeral." One of the saddest episodes this show ever had, IMO. Plus, Luke's acting was just in this episode.
Worst episode? The 1st two episodes w/o Toni. They weren't bad, per say, but with Toni absent, some the bad aftertaste from late S5 was still there (like the Dylan/Kelly/Brandon triangle).
Favourite SL? Dylan/Toni, obviously.
Worst SL? Kelly/Colin. I hated what little I saw of them; I'm glad my stopping at "One Wedding and a Funeral" allowed me to miss the Cokehead!Kelly storyline.
Favourite character? Dylan. He shined in his last 10 episodes.
Character that annoyed you the most? Who else? Kelly & Brandon, tied. Both of their characters became a real drag on the show after S4. I'm glad I missed most of it by leaving when Dylan left.
Favourite couple? Dylan/Toni, of course.
Couple that annoyed you the most? Kelly/Colin and Brandon/Susan, tied. I didn't see much of either of them, but what I saw bored me. Plus, Susan's "Straw-Feminist" characterization was totally offensive, IMO.
Best angst scene? Dylan crying into Toni's wedding dress and while holding Trouble in "One Wedding and a Funeral." That was one of the saddest and most beautiful scenes this show ever had, IMO.
Worst scene? All the Kelly/Val scenes where they were fighting over Colin. That just made me go . Also, Brandon & Dylan's last scene in "One Wedding and a Funeral," because A) it's the last time we see Dylan, B) it's the last time Brandon will ever see Dylan, and C) it was clearly obvious that they weren't friends anymore and they were never going to be friends again, let alone best friends. (I mean, think about it--that was, more likely than not, the last time those two ever saw each other, and all they do is shake hands? The same guys that were like brothers in the first 3 1/2 seasons?!? Just too depressing.)
Favourite guest star? Toni. She's the one non-Brenda girl I can accept Dylan with. May she RIP.