View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Movietime Blues
Elite Fan

Wow! It's been months since I've posted in this thread. I don't know why people haven't posted stuff here, although I guess many don't have time to do this.

Anyway, NBC and Comcast have merged last week. Part of the merger is the combination of the sports assets each corporation has. News is just coming out on the reorganization of NBC Sports Group:

McCarley To Head Golf Channel, Davis Out At Versus In NBC Sports Group Reorg: Sources - 2011-02-02 00:03:41 | Multichannel News
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...mie-Davis.aspx

There has been speculation that the new Comcast/NBC could become a serious competitor to ESPN should the merger pan out. Anything from NHL rights to even soccer coverage could be affected. The Globe & Mail has an interesting article on the TV rights issue for the U.S. in hockey: Corporate manoeuvres complicate NHL’s U.S. broadcast picture - The Globe and Mail

Speaking of soccer, ESPN has bought the rights to show Euro 2012 and Euro 2016 in the United States: ESPN acquires U.S. broadcast rights for 2012, 2016 European Championships - ESPN

Unfortunately, no Copa America on ESPN because they didn't get the rights for broadband/internet. But Univision will show the 2011 edition for Spanish-language audience. So brush up on your Spanish.

For Canadian audiences, TSN will become the national home for Major League Soccer, starting this season: TSN to be Canada’s national broadcaster for Major League Soccer

Ratings news

Ratings for the NHL All-Star Game much better than 2009: 2011 NHL All-Star Game brings in big numbers for Versus, CBC | ProHockeyTalk

In the NFL, the Pro Bowl was played on Sunday. The ratings for that game, from KHON: The ratings are in: Pro Bowl watched by 13.4 million | KHON2 Hawaii's News Leader

Movietime Blues is offline   Reply With Quote