View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 01:10 AM
XavierZane
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casandra (View Post)
Sigh, the overwhelming hetero coupleness this latest episode certainly did seem shoved down our throat. But on the plus side, Santana character development! Unfortunately it kind of looks like there's a bit of a plant for San to be the monkey wrench in Finchel.
I think this episode was good for Brittana. Not in terms of immediate gratification, of course, like "Duets", but in terms of evidence for a longer, ongoing Brittana storyline. While I think Santana will be a catalyst for a Finnchel meltdown, I don't think her role will be anything major. No triangle or anything. I've talked about it in other places, so I'll just paste what I wrote there:

Quote:
I don't think it's necessarily an insecurity over not having a boyfriend, and rather a new longing for a real relationship. I read it as being part of the Brittana storyline, because Brittany's realization of wanting the same thing was the impetus for "Duets" and, now, for the Bartie relationship. Brittany's desire for a real relationship was obviously initially centered on her relationship with Santana, but she substituted later on. Santana's desire for a real relationship is likewise centered on Brittany, although more subtly.

These feelings of Santana's are introduced this episode (and her actions are clearly verging on desperate about halfway through...that line "and then you can start seeing me" is so random and desperate). What's changed in this episode? Finn/Rachel isn't new, nor are Sam/Quinn, and Puck is as free as a bird. The big change is that Britt has her first boyfriend. That is changing her relationship with Santana, leading to Brittany being included in things that Santana excluded from for the first time. When she was asked to leave the little meeting of "Glee girls with boyfriends", what she was losing came into focus. Her attempts for a real relationship may overtly be about finding a boyfriend, but at it's core it's about getting Brittany back.

Given Santana's new feelings, given Brittany's established desire for a real relationship, and given that Tina seemed to be jealous of Bartie (i.e. Bartie isn't long for the world), I'm more convinced than I have been in awhile that Brittany's desire for a real relationship and Santana's desire for a real relationship will bring them together in the end and overturn the "sex is not dating" paradigm that seemed to dominate their world before.