View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Callace
Fan Forum Hero

Pocahontas #2: A beautiful adventure, waiting just around the river bend

Welcome to the Pocahontas appreciation thread!

the story;
This movie starts when a ship of British settlers of the Virginia Company sets sale to the "New World". On board of the ship are Captain John Smith,
and the voyage's leader Governor Ratcliffe, who believes the local Native Americans are hiding a vast collection of gold, and seeks to gain it for his own.
In the local tribe in the New World, lives a girl named Pocahontas, who is the daughter of Chief Powhatan. Pocahontas finds herself torn between two
paths: should she marry the heroic and "too serious" warrior Kocoum, like her father wants her to; or should she follow her dream, a dream that seems to be
pointing her to a different and unknown path?
Pocahontas feels that a change is coming, and that change happens when the English ship lands near her village. She then meets the brave John Smith,
and they end up for falling in love with each other.
But sadly, their love is doomed, since the two of them are from very different worlds. The differences and the misunderstandings between both civilizations,
along with Ratcliffe’s greed, lead into an ugly confrontation involving both sides, and in which John gets badly injured. Being his return to England
the only chance he has to survive, Smith has to go back to his country. Pocahontas is needed in her village, so she decides to stay.
This Disney movie ended in a perhaps not very typical Disney way. Two lovers got separated, but they stayed together in their hearts, in a movie that teaches
people precious lessons about respecting each other’s differences, and search for peace, no matter what.

•••

movie history;
Pocahontas is the thirty-third animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics movies. It was produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation, and was originally
released to selected theaters on June 16th (1995) by Walt Disney Pictures. It belongs to the era known as the Disney Renaissance, which began in 1989 and ended in 1999.
It's the first Disney movie based on a real historic character and on the known history and folklore that surrounded the Native American woman Pocahontas.
A video game based on the film was released across various platforms shortly after the film's theatrical release, and the film itself was followed by a sequel,Pocahontas II:
Journey to a New World
, in 1998.

Pocahontas won several awards, including two Oscars for Best Song ("Colors of the Wind") and Best Original Score.

Directed by: Mike Gabriel and Eric Goldberg.
Starring: the voices of Irene Bedard (speaking Pocahontas), Judy Kuhn (singing Pocahontas), Mel Gibson (John Smith),
David Ogden Stiers (Governor Ratcliffe&Wiggins), John Kassir (Meeko), Russell Means (Powhatan), Christian Bale (Thomas)
and Linda Hunt (Grandmother Willow).

•••

"Sometimes the right path is not the easiest one." ~ Grandmother Willow

"Well, it’s not like I have much of a home to go back to. I’ve never really belonged anywhere." ~ John Smith
"You could belong here." ~ Pocahontas

"I’d rather die tomorrow than live a hundred years without knowing you." ~ John Smith

I won’t! I love him, father. Look around you. This is where the path of hatred has brought us.
This is the path I choose, father.What will yours be?"
~ Pocahontas

No matter what happens to me, I’ll always be with you. Forever.

[indent][indent]OP made by Pattt [indent][indent]

Last edited by madness; 02-16-2011 at 07:23 AM