View Single Post
Old 06-12-2005, 07:46 PM
*Elle*
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudburst2000
Well, do you think that too much wizarding pure blood could be a bad thing? There are aonly a few pure-blooded wizarding families left so there must be lots of in-breeding -- cousins marrying cousins, etc. I would think that would be a bad thing. Wouldn't it weaken their magic over time? That's why in-breeding isn't allowed. It can cause health problems in the future and such especially in-breeding over a long period of time It is really rather telling that the most powerful wizards we've seen from the younger students are not pure-blooded. Harry's mom was a muggle-born and Hermione is muggle-born. I'd say that they are probably two of the most powerful students. And Voldemort isn't pure-blooded either. So perhaps, certain families insistence on remaining pure-blooded will actually be their downfall. I wonder if there are a larger number of squibs born to pure-blood families than families that are mixed.
Although I think it's icky isn't it a myth that inbreeding causes health problems? I know it was an issue with my English Bulldog who was really over inbreeded (not a word?) and died when he was only Six months old. But he was a dog.

I think that is a really good observation about the non-pure bloods sometimes being more powerful then teh purebloods. Just look at Neville. IMO Harry and Hermione are more powerful then Ron and he comes from an old pureblood family. Plus Harry is way more powerful then Malfoy.

But then of course you have Sirius and James (who even though is dead, he still defied Voldemort three times without being killed so he must have been powerful) so I guess maybe it's depends on the person.