View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 AM
Gio Gio
Elite Fan

Anne Hathaway's Wiggy Workday in Paris, Aug 31, 2010 | Celebrity-gossip.net

bookclub: The Second Grazia Book Club Was BRILLIANT!

Quote:
At Tuesday’s Grazia Book Club at Waterstones we were treated to not just one amazing author but two – Allison Pearson and David Nicholls, debating whether only women can successfully write female characters. As our host Decca Aitkenhead said it’s a question she would have automatically said yes to before she read Nicholls’s 2009 book One Day.

Tracing the life of Dexter and Emma’s relationship across 20 years, he manages to create a female character that every woman utterly relates to – even in the smallest detail, like the Nelson Mandela poster she pins to her wall at university in the 1980’s. So was he surrounded by sisters, or was it his wife he drew on for inspiration for Emma’s character?

‘Actually there’s a lot of me in Emma, so in a way it was easier to write her character. Especially in my 20’s when it was a real shock leaving university, I had many of her insecurities and anxieties,’ he revealed.

Both authors also reflected on what it’s like seeing their hit books reach the big screen. David had come from the set of One Day, where he’d watched Anne Hathaway play Emma. (‘Her northern accent’s really good,’ he reassured dissenters of her casting). And Allison had just heard the news that Sarah Jessica Parker will play Kate – the heroine of her first novel I Don’t Know How She Does It – in a screenplay adaptation set in New York. ‘There had been lots of speculation about the film version of the book for a while and when the rumour was that Nicole Kidman would play Kate, I had women write to me shouting that she wasn’t right because she was too cool. It’s interesting how women project themselves on characters in books.’

Some arts