View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Gio Gio
Elite Fan

Dexter ღ Emma ♥ One Day

Plot Summary
It's 1988 and Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley have only just met. They both know that the next day, after college graduation, they must go their separate ways. But after only one day together, they cannot stop thinking about one another. As the years go by, Dex and Em begin to lead separate lives-lives very different from the people they once dreamed they'd become. And yet, unable to let go of that special something that grabbed onto them that first night, an extraordinary relationship develops between the two. Over twenty years, snapshots of that relationship are revealed on the same day- July 15th-of each year. Dex and Em face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself.

One Day Two People - Home
David Nicholls - One Day

ღ ღ ღ

Quotes

♥ ♥ ♥
‘This is me.’ He handed her the precious scrap of paper. ‘Call me or I’ll call you, but one of us will call, yes? What I mean is it’s not a competition. You don’t lose if you phone first.’ - Dex to Em
♥ ♥ ♥
"You’re gorgeous, you old hag, and if I could give you just one gift ever for the rest of your life it would be this. Confidence. It would be the gift of confidence. Either that or a scented candle." — Dexter’s letter to Emma
♥ ♥ ♥
"Just the whole of our lives, stretching ahead of us.
Independent adult life.
She didn’t feel like an adult. She was in no way prepared. It was as if a fire alarm had gone off in the middle of the night and she was standing on the street with her clothes bundled up in her arms.
The trick of it, she told herself, is to be courageous and bold and make a difference. Not change the world exactly, just the bit around you."

♥ ♥ ♥
"What are you going to do with your life?” In one way or another it seemed that people had been asking her this forever; teachers, her parents, friends at three in the morning, but the question had never seemed this pressing and still she was no nearer an answer… “Live each day as if it’s your last’, that was the conventional advice, but really, who had the energy for that? What if it rained or you felt a bit glandy? It just wasn’t practical. Better by far to be good and courageous and bold and to make difference. Not change the world exactly, but the bit around you. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully and well. Experience new things. Love and be loved, if you ever get the chance."
♥ ♥ ♥
Dexter: ‘I take it that’s a no then,’
he said eventually, pinching the sea-water from his nose.
Emma: ‘I think so. I think our moment passed some time ago.’
Dexter: ‘Oh. Really. Are you sure? Because I think we’d feel much better if we got it out of the way.’
Emma: ‘Got it out of the way?’
Dexter: ‘I just think we’d feel closer. As friends.’
Emma: ‘You’re worried that not sleeping together could spoil our friendship?’
Dexter: ‘I’m not expressing myself very well—’
Emma: ‘Dexter, I understand you perfectly, that’s the problem—’
Dexter: ‘If you’re scared of Ingrid—’
Emma: ‘I’m not scared of her, I’m just not going to do it so that we can say that we’ve done it. And I’m not going to do it if the first thing you say afterwards is “please don’t tell anyone” or “let’s forget it ever happened”.If you have to keep something secret it’s because you shouldn’t be doing it in the first place!’
♥ ♥ ♥
“Dexter, I love you so much. So, so much, and I probably always will. I just don’t like you anymore. I’m sorry.” — Emma Morley
♥ ♥ ♥
Emma: ‘I tell you what it is. It’s…. when I didn’t see you, I thought about you every day, I mean every day in some way or another….’
Dexter: ‘Same here….’
Emma: ‘—- even if it was just “I wish Dexter could see this” or “where’s Dexter now?” or “Christ, that Dexter, what an idiot”, you know what I mean, and seeing you today, well, I thought I’d got you back - my best friend. And now all this, the wedding, the baby - I’m so, so happy for you Dex. But it feels like I’ve lost you again’
♥ ♥ ♥
And then she frowned, and shook her head, then put her arms around him once more, pressing her face into his shoulder, making a noise that sounded almost like rage.
‘What’s up?’ he asked.
‘Nothing. Oh, nothing. Just…’ She looked up at him. ‘I thought I’d finally got rid of you.’
‘I don’t think you can.’ he said.

♥ ♥ ♥
"I mean it, if you lead me on or let me down or go behind my back, I will murder you. I swear to God, I will eat your heart."
♥ ♥ ♥
“He wanted to live life in such a way that if a photograph were taken at random, it would be a cool photograph.”
♥ ♥ ♥
‘Do you miss her?’
‘Who? Emma? Of course. Every day. She was my best friend.’
He nudges her with his elbow. ‘Why, do you?’
Jasmine frowns as she recalls. ‘I think so. I was only four, I don’t remember her that well, only when I look at pictures. I remember the wedding. She was nice though, wasn’t she?’
‘Very nice.’
‘So who’s your best friend now?’
He places a hand on the back of his daughter’s neck, fitting his thumb into the hollow there.
‘You of course.’

♥ ♥ ♥

ღ ღ ღ

Woman to Man: Our Exclusive Interview with Author David Nicholls
One Day | Books | EW.com
Books of The Times - They Meet. They Part. They ... What? Again?
Book Review: One Day by David Nicholls
Review: One Day by David Nicholls | Books | The Guardian

ღ ღ ღ

One Day (2011)
A romantic comedy centered on Dexter and Emma, who first meet during their graduation in 1988 and proceed to reunite one day each year for the next 20 years.

One Day Movie Official Site
One Day Movie Official Facebook Page

ღ ღ ღ

ღ ღ ღ

Cast
Anne Hathaway ♥ Emma Morley
Jim Sturgess ♥ Dexter Mayhew

ღ ღ ღ

Lovers
♥ Gio Gio
♥ Let The Ball Drop
♥ Rockin Robyn
♥ ShineSoBright23
♥ ConnieB04
♥ pinkmartinisympathiquexx
♥ P&B4ever
♥ jean-grey
♥ SkateGirl88
♥ forblueskiesxx
♥ yuzzz66

ღ ღ ღ

Set pics

Anne Hathaway seen filming ''One Day'' in London, Jul 22, 2010
Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess on the Set Of "One Day" in Edinburgh, UK, Aug 1, 2010
Anne Hathaway films a scene for her new movie One Day on the famous landmark hill Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh
Anne Hathaway gets run over on the set in London, Aug 22, 2010
Anne Hathaway spotted on the set of ‘One Day’ in London, Aug 23, 2010
Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess on the “One Day” set in Paris, Aug 28, 2010
Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess on the “One Day” set in Paris, Aug 31, 2010
Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess Film 'One Day' - Paris, Sep 1, 2010
Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess Film 'One Day' - Quai Saint Martin, Paris, Sep 1, 2010 Clip 1 2
Anne Hathaway spotted on the Set of "One Day" in London, Mar 9

ღ ღ ღ

"The Edinburgh climb that Dexter and Emma take after their very first night together will wind up as a picture-postcard image of the two of them that lasts forever." - nytimes.com

ღ ღ ღ

Official Stills

'One Day' first look: Into each romance a little rain must fall - USATODAY.com

One Day director Lone Scherfig wraps filming of David Nicholls' novel | Film | The Guardian

New Look at Scherfig's 'One Day'

Stills - 2

Last edited by Gio Gio; 05-27-2011 at 09:32 AM