View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 04:53 AM
Rachel Leigh
Extreme Fan

The Official EdR Interviews thread #1

I think this is my favorite...

Quote:
Emilie de Ravin: how a string of bad-luck bombs-and one supernatural hit television series, Lost, which has become a cultural phenomenon-are paying off big-time

Interview, April, 2006 by Paul Rudd

On the hit show Lost, Emilie de Ravin plays Claire: a new mother, an intermittent amnesiac, and one of the show's most enigmatic denizens. And if de Ravin's alter ego has a fraction of the actress's own determination, she'll easily continue to negotiate the mysteries (and monsters) that lurk around every corner in the small screen's most captivating desert-island serial since Gilligan and the castaways set sail on the S.S. Minnow. Born and raised in Australia, de Ravin got her start as a ballerina and at 15 was accepted into the prestigious Australian Ballet School in Melbourne. She dropped out after a year to study acting and spent her early career wading through Hollywood's sea of failed pilots and stillborn independent films, ultimately appearing on short-lived, ghoulishly themed programs such as Beastmaster and Roswell, but having little to show for all the work that never made it to the air and movies that never saw the light of day. In a couple of new films, two more of de Ravin's characters have their hands full, one doing battle with a murderous family in the recently released remake of Wes Craven's 1977 cult horror classic The Hills Have Eyes, the other weaving her way through the dark, neo-noir landscape of the 2005 Sundance hit Brick. Here, Lost superfan Paul Rudd gets the scoop.

PAUL RUDD: I recently got one of those video iPods and downloaded an episode of Lost. I think I've seen every one so far.

EMILIE DE RAVIN: Really?

PR: I love Lost. It's an amazing show.

ER: Thanks. I'll take full credit for that comment.

PR: As you should. But I watched an episode of the show on a plane, and I had this sensation--I'm not really that nervous about flying, but it was kind of like, "Wow. Do I really want to be seeing this on a plane?" [de Ravin laughs] I think they should show the Lost pilot and then that movie Alive [1993], where they crash in the Andes and have to eat each other, as a kind of thrilling double bill for those long flights.

ER: Yeah, right. [laughs] God. I would never fly again. I have had some hellish trips in the past year. I was working in Morocco last summer, and getting there was really horrible. We had to go through Paris and then through Casablanca to this other little airport.

PR: So it took four flights to get there.

ER: Yeah, horrible.

PR: How long did you stay?

ER: About six weeks. We shot in Ouarzazate, which is quite a small desert town. Everyone was so nice, and it was really interesting to soak up the culture.

PR: Had you ever been there before?

ER: No. I'd like to see more parts of the country. I was working so much that I didn't really get a chance. But I did go to Marrakech for two days.

PR: What was that like?

ER: Complete 180 degrees from Ouarzazate. Just a huge city. Beautiful and different. I really liked the architecture. The food was better too. The food in Ouarzazate wasn't very good.

PR: Just a lot of couscous?

ER: And tons of tagine. Lots of lamb. You go there so skeptical after being told not to eat anything that you don't peel.

PR: I would think that you'd take a bunch of peanut butter or Powerbars with you.

ER: Well I'm allergic to peanuts, so I didn't do that. I will die if I eat peanuts. I have this shot that I'd have to stab into my thigh. It's all very dramatic.

PR: Wow. Obviously that was discovered when you were very young.

ER: It gets worse over time, too. When it first happens, you just sort of throw up and get a bit of a red rash all over your cheeks. Your lips get really itchy and swollen, and your mouth gets really dry.

PR: Is that your only food allergy?

ER: It is. But peanut oil is fine, which is very odd.

PR: That's just weird. I was probably about 12 years old or something, and all of a sudden I started becoming allergic to apples.

ER: That's interesting because apples, you'd think, are quite a plain, simple food.

PR: You don't meet that many people who have reactions to apples.

ER: You're very unique, Paul. [laughs]

PR: I take pride in my strange allergies. Yeah,

peanuts--whatever, Emilie. Bo-ring.

ER: [laughs] I know. I'll come up with something better next time.

PR: What's your favorite food? My questions, by the way, are the kind you'd get if a 10-year-old were interviewing somebody. [de Ravin laughs] Next, I'm going to ask you your favorite color.

ER: My favorite food has got to be sushi. I love it. In Hawaii, where we shoot Lost, the big thing is Spam sushi.

PR: Hawaii is the Spam-eating capital of the world.

ER: Seriously. I don't understand--it's disgusting.

PR: They have Spam at McDonald's in Hawaii.

ER: I know. But to make it into sushi with a little bit of seaweed wrapped around it ... that's just odd. Definitely a turnoff.
To be continued...