View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Movietime Blues
Elite Fan

The Rugby World Cup will be on US television for 2011 and 2015. Read on: Blog - | Universal Sports, NBC to broadcast Rugby World Cup | Universal Sports

Quote:
Universal Sports Network, NBC Sports, and the International Rugby Board (IRB) today announced a partnership that will bring to U.S. audiences unprecedented national television and digital media coverage of the 2011 and 2015 Rugby World Cup tournaments. The announcement was made by Universal Sports CEO David Sternberg and Mike Miller, CEO and Secretary General, International Rugby Board.

Universal Sports, the preeminent destination for Olympic-related sports programming, and NBC Sports will provide full, multi-platform coverage of all 48 matches during the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand and the 2015 World Cup in England. Two matches in each tournament, including the Finals in 2011 and 2015, will air either live or on a same-day delay on NBC Sports. Live and delayed match video will also be accessible at Year-Round Coverage of Olympic Sports & Athletes | Universal Sports, and on Universal Sports' mobile platforms. Universal Sports' and NBC Sports' match coverage will feature a studio pre-game show, halftime and post-game shows, as well as several other production enhancements, and will be offered in high definition.
Btw, Universal Sports is in 63 million households. For comparison, Versus is in 73 million households, while ESPN/ESPN2 are in over 99 million households.

Meanwhile, ratings for the World Cup soccer coverage on ESPN has improved from 2006:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/06/15...ece-more/54249
http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/06/14...coverage/54127

Quote:
ESPN is off to a strong start through the opening weekend of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, highlighted by the United States-England match on ABC which was the most-watched FIFA World Cup first-round match among households and viewers, and the most-viewed United States Men’s National Team game since 1994.
Through eight matches, ESPN and ABC are averaging 3,000,000 households and 4,247,000 viewers – up 75% and 80%, respectively, versus the first eight games of the 2006 World Cup (1,718,000 households and 2,363,000 viewers in ’06).
The most-watched game from Sunday was ABC’s Germany-Australia matchup – a 2.8 household rating, 3,270,000 households, and 4,657,000 viewers, while Serbia-Ghana delivered a 2.3 household coverage rating, 2,248,000 households, and 3,002,000 viewers earlier in the day on ESPN, both based on fast nationals.
So how was the World Cup coverage where you are? I don't think I've ever seen this much detailed coverage of the sport where I am ever since I started following it. John Skipper of ESPN is said to be an avid fan of the sport. So that explains part of the increased coverage.

Movietime Blues is offline   Reply With Quote