View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Finnegan
Loyal Fan

Whence "Finn"?

Thanks, Anja. Looks like I should redirect my "Eden" question to Nki, then, if she ever shows up here again.

Meanwhile, another question, as well asked here as anywhere, given this board's lack of an "Ed Quinn - Finn appreciation thread:" Whence comes the very odd name, "Finn"?

Mustn't it be short for "Finnegan"? And doesn't it seem likely to refer to "Finnegan's Wake," the old Irish ballad from which Joyce's intractable novel takes its name?

Quote:
The whiskey scatterin' over Tim
Bedad he revives, and see how he rises!
Tim Finnegan risin' in the bed!
Sayin' "Throwin' your whiskey around like blazes,"
"By the thunderin' Jesus, did ye think I was dead?"
So doesn't Antin's choice of "Finn" underscore the theme of moral rebirth through recapturing youth's potential to "exceed expectations" that "Finn" voices in episode 1? And of moral rebirth through the redemptive power of love that seems to be the general theme of Young Americans, dramatized particularly in the characters of Will Krudsky and Jake Pratt, both of whom seem "reborn" thanks to love at Rawley -- to agape from Scout and Finn in Will's case, to eros born of agape from Hamilton in Jake's case?

(These musings underlay my choice of moniker for this forum, obviously. My chief focus here is on what Antin was doing in YA, and Finn seems largely an alter-ego for Antin.)