View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 01:29 PM
malaguetta
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
I bet Bradley doesn't like Gwen/Arthur. I've never understood how people consider them epic. I mean, geez, pick a version: she always betrays him. Hell, Merlin even warns Arthur in one of them (basically, "Girl's a ho."). Too weird. Never got the Guinevere fascination. For me, it's always about the sword-weilding Seer.
Betty, "Girl's a ho." Guinevere betraying Arthur is one of the linchpins of the legends. In the very early versions she betrays him for Mordred. Later it became Lancelot. In some more recent retellings, (such as The Road to Avalon it's been Bedwyr (Bedivere). She's not always a "ho". In some versions she does admire, even respect, Arthur but it was a politcal marriage, not a love match. Her love is given, most often, to Lancelot, the queen's champion. In some versions Guinevere and Lancelot are fiercely loyal to each other.

I can think of two recent versions where Merlin warns Arthur about marrying Guinevere. The first is 1981 movie Excalibur, the second is the 1998 TV mini-series Merlin. In both cases warns Arthur about marriage to the beautiful princess.

Now about that sword-weilding Seer. What a character she was. The s1 Morgana was the most impressive of the young characters. What an asset she would've been to Arthur and Camelot. A Seer is a powerful tool for a king. Many king's would kill to obtain a true Seer.