View Single Post
Old 05-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Crossbow
Addicted Fan

When "slash" started out, it meant two characters of the same sex who were not paired in the canon. Obviously, a lot of it was graphic. Somehow, some people for the idea "slash" mean graphic sex, and others got the idea that it meant kinky sex. One of my friends thought it meant "blood sports." But all it REALLY meant was gay and non-canon. I've seen a lot of things mis-labeled as "slash" because the author thought it mean "sex" in general.

I think in most states, incest is only criminal if one or both parties is under 18.

But let's talk about the incest taboo in general: Familial bonds are supposed to prevent sexual attraction. It works that way in almost all mammals, not just humans - but incest is especially dangerous in humans because our gene pool is so much smaller than it is for other animals.

Now, you could have two people who are related by blood but have never met, so they would not have a familial bond, and it would not feel like incest to them. You could also have two adopted siblings who are not related by blood, but would feel a familial bond that would make them feel like the incest taboo applies to them.

On "Lost," the parents of the step siblings married when the kids were 12 and 14 - meaning they'd already hit puberty, and it was too late for them to develop a sibling bond. In their case, they're not related by blood AND they don't have a sibling bond, so is it incest in any sense?

Well, it must be, since everyone keeps calling it that. Clearly it's striking a nerve with some people.