View Single Post
Old 05-11-2005, 03:52 AM
Silversun
Master Fan

'Incest is the new slash' - discussion

"Incest is the new slash."

Not sure who said that, but certainly it's a phrase that's been floating around for a bit of time now in the fanfic community at large. Thoughts? Opinions? Debate is encouraged but given the sensitive nature of the subject matter, please remain civil to each other and respect other posters' opinions.

I've just personally embarked on my first serious incest 'ship, and it's quite exciting; I suspect it's due in large part to the fact that usually I'm stuck on M/M 'ships and it's not often that I actually fall in love with a het couple. It is certainly arguable that this couple (River/Simon from Firefly) has some grounding in canon.

Anyway, that's all background and veering from the point that I wanted to make: Is it fair to say that incest has just recently emerged as a viable 'ship choice for the mainstream? Or has it always been around for certain communities? Or, is it still not "mainstream" and I'm just too comfortable in my little incestuous shipper community that I neglected to notice that most people still get very squicked by the idea? Have we become so used to the idea of slash (especially in light of the fact that gay relationships are coming into canon proper and hence altering the meaning of 'slash' altogether) that we needed something more "alternative", as it were, to direct our UC energies toward?

Sorry for the ramble. Just trying to sort through the ideas.

fics | vids | stupid little life