View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 12:25 PM
*PassionateJ*
Fan Forum Hero

Melanie Lynskey | Film | Random Roles | The A.V. Club

Quote:
Heavenly Creatures (1994)—“Pauline Parker”

ML: That whole experience… I kind of wish I could go back, being who I am now, and have that experience again. I loved every second of making it, but I didn’t realize at the time that it was really unique. I was like, “Oh God, making movies is amazing,” and then I went on to do all kinds of things and realize that not everyone is Peter Jackson. [Laughs.] He was just so protective and so loving. It was a really special time. I was in high school when we made that, and I’d always had this great dream of being an actor, but everyone around me said, “You’re crazy, people don’t just become actors. You need to think about getting a real job, or you’re never going to be happy.” And then I got this movie and it took my life on a different path.

AVC: Have you stayed close with Peter Jackson and Kate Winslet?

ML: Kate and I were so close for a few years, like sisters in fact, because we didn’t want to let it go for a while. I ran into her recently when I worked with her husband on Away We Go, and we spent a little time together, which was really nice, but before that, we hadn’t seen each other for years and years. And Peter, I see every now and again because one of my good friends works at his company.